2006 AC; compressor or black death? how do I tell? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006 AC; compressor or black death? how do I tell?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I just bought a used 04 CRV LX and was just told by my mechanic of many years that my compressor is not kicking in and needs to be replaced. Not wanting to pay a fortune for new Honda parts I have two options:
    1) Re-manufactured compressor with year or two warranty
    2) Used compressor at about half the price of the re-manufactured part but only 90 days warranty

The system is down a few pounds from spec but not enough to cause it not to work. I have a couple months before I really need this repair, is there anything I can do as a Sunday mechanic to rule out other issues with the AC system before getting the compressor replaced?

- The fuse was pulled and checked
    - The charge/pressure was checked
    - When A/C is turned on the engine fans kick on
    - PROBLEM - The compressor does not engage

I also have an oil leak on passenger side that I suspect is the solenoid or PCV that I need to get around to checking and replacing soon, but I don't think that would impact the compressor any.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kierlix View Post
    I just bought a used 04 CRV LX and was just told by my mechanic of many years that my compressor is not kicking in and needs to be replaced. Not wanting to pay a fortune for new Honda parts I have two options:
    1) Re-manufactured compressor with year or two warranty
    2) Used compressor at about half the price of the re-manufactured part but only 90 days warranty

The system is down a few pounds from spec but not enough to cause it not to work. I have a couple months before I really need this repair, is there anything I can do as a Sunday mechanic to rule out other issues with the AC system before getting the compressor replaced?

- The fuse was pulled and checked
    - The charge/pressure was checked
    - When A/C is turned on the engine fans kick on
    - PROBLEM - The compressor does not engage

I also have an oil leak on passenger side that I suspect is the solenoid or PCV that I need to get around to checking and replacing soon, but I don't think that would impact the compressor any.
    If it is like the 3rd gen compressor, it is possible that the A/C compressor clutch has failed. This happened on both of our '09s, but not wanting future problems, I had the dealers replace the entire compressor with a remanufactured Honda compressor, which came with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, serviceable at any dealer in the country. They also leak checked the entire system and replaced any o-rings needed.

Note that in the 3rd gen, there is a relay that activates the clutch. In mine, the relay had been overloaded and the contacts had fused together. Likely if that relay looks bad, the clutch may very well be bad. (With a few members here, I believe they only had the relay go bad, so that is another possibility.) I don't know how the 2nd gen's A/C system is set up, however--someone who's worked on them could let us know.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore fubarnow's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Mine has been a real nightmare.
    I've had it worked on for the 4th time and now
    it has been basically rebuilt.
    The manager at Firestone, stepped up to the plate last week
    and told me he was going to fix it right.
    I did pay for a new condenser $120 and they installed it for $180.
    I hope this is the last time for AC work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore fubarnow's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Used Compressor is a BIG NO NO---Don't do that.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12