I just bought a used 04 CRV LX and was just told by my mechanic of many years that my compressor is not kicking in and needs to be replaced. Not wanting to pay a fortune for new Honda parts I have two options:
1) Re-manufactured compressor with year or two warranty
2) Used compressor at about half the price of the re-manufactured part but only 90 days warranty
The system is down a few pounds from spec but not enough to cause it not to work. I have a couple months before I really need this repair, is there anything I can do as a Sunday mechanic to rule out other issues with the AC system before getting the compressor replaced?
- The fuse was pulled and checked
- The charge/pressure was checked
- When A/C is turned on the engine fans kick on
- PROBLEM - The compressor does not engage
I also have an oil leak on passenger side that I suspect is the solenoid or PCV that I need to get around to checking and replacing soon, but I don't think that would impact the compressor any.