2006 AC; compressor or black death? how do I tell?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 AC; compressor or black death? how do I tell?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2006 AC; compressor or black death? how do I tell?

Was on a trip a while back when I discovered the AC doesn't work. A friend's Honda mechanic (many states away) diagnosed it as needing a new compressor and a new condensor. Condensor leaks. I'm guessing the compressor hasn't locked. Fan blows warm air. Heater still works well. I've popped the hood and don't notice any difference in sound when the engine's running as to whether the AC is on or off.

I have a mechanic I trust but they don't generally do AC. They've told me if I have parts they'll replace, but are uncertain as to how to tell if it's completely shot. I'm not keen on taking it to someone I don't know, but maybe I have to?

How do I tell if it's black death on my own? Or, is there an easy way for them to tell? They usually work on Toyotas- Hondas not so much.

also, anyone know how good this kit is? Just in case?; https://www.ebay.com/i/323666987932?chn=ps
    Last edited by Lynn987; 03-18-2019 at 09:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Did you check your fuses. always check the easiest things first . Maybe you can have your mechanic check the pressures to make sure you don't just have a leak!

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by +MyHonda View Post
    Did you check your fuses. always check the easiest things first . Maybe you can have your mechanic check the pressures to make sure you don't just have a leak!
    Thanks. I did. The compressor is shot and the condenser leaks. But I'm wondering if the whole system got contaminated by the compressor imploding. That's what's called the Honda AC Black death.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Sounds like you need it checked out by a real actual mechanic. I had the entire A/C system, literally everything, replaced on my F250, with all new OEM parts, for $2k. Making a decision depends on the condition of the rest of the car, and whether it's worth doing to keep it. It might work out fine, or it might be better to just change cars. Either way it's going to cost. The hardest part is knowing whether you can trust if what you are told about the diagnosis is accurate.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn987 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by +MyHonda View Post
    Thanks. I did. The compressor is shot and the condenser leaks. But I'm wondering if the whole system got contaminated by the compressor imploding. That's what's called the Honda AC Black death.

What happened first the leak in the condenser or the compressor stop working?

A leaking condenser would loose Freon and cause the compressor not to turn on!

I don't know how true it is but someone once said they call it Black Death because it turns the fluid black.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Black Death on EARLY Gen2s was a catastrophic compressor failure that would contaminate the entire system with metal particles. If it wasn't fixed correctly, the new parts would fail again because of residual metal contaminates.

++++++++++++++

In the OP's case, a fuse check, then a recharge (with a UV dye) should be the initial steps taken.

The condenser (behind the front grill) can deteriorate over time (road salt?) and the little fins will fall off. This could cause a reduction in efficiency (both our '06 and my daughter's '07 Fit had this happen) but the A/C still worked fine once properly charged.

The condenser can also be damaged due to road hazards (debris) that will make them actually leak.

Again, a UV dye will point out if action is needed.

Time to visit an AC shop....

PS: If the system has been recharged in the past, the filler (Schrader) valves could be a source of a leak.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

Thanks (Received)
    Lynn987---I have an '06 CR-V that I bought new; now with about 143K on it. My dealership has told me that the AC "black death" was largely corrected by about '04, so that probably isn't the problem with your '06. I have had one AC issue so far; my AC clutch failed several years ago. Later found out my dealership would have done it a few hundred dollars cheaper than the independent garage I had do it. Anyway, I recommend OEM or similar quality replacement parts for the AC as the best bet for long life. Since I doubt that the parts in that kit you linked to are Honda parts or similar quality, I personally wouldn't go that route. I also note that their product description states: "Honda requires all of these components to be replaced in order to rid the system of contamination". That is not true for the majority of CR-V AC issues. I would also find a mechanic who's skilled with working on Honda AC systems.
    Last edited by ozzierabbit; 03-20-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Black Death on EARLY Gen2s was a catastrophic compressor failure that would contaminate the entire system with metal particles. If it wasn't fixed correctly, the new parts would fail again because of residual metal contaminates.

++++++++++++++

In the OP's case, a fuse check, then a recharge (with a UV dye) should be the initial steps taken.

The condenser (behind the front grill) can deteriorate over time (road salt?) and the little fins will fall off. This could cause a reduction in efficiency (both our '06 and my daughter's '07 Fit had this happen) but the A/C still worked fine once properly charged.

The condenser can also be damaged due to road hazards (debris) that will make them actually leak.

Again, a UV dye will point out if action is needed.

Time to visit an AC shop....

PS: If the system has been recharged in the past, the filler (Schrader) valves could be a source of a leak.

Good sound advice.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzierabbit View Post
    Lynn987---I have an '06 CR-V that I bought new; now with about 143K on it. My dealership has told me that the AC "black death" was largely corrected by about '04, so that probably isn't the problem with your '06. I have had one AC issue so far; my AC clutch failed several years ago. Later found out my dealership would have done it a few hundred dollars cheaper than the independent garage I had do it. Anyway, I recommend OEM or similar quality replacement parts for the AC as the best bet for long life. Since I doubt that the parts in that kit you linked to are Honda parts or similar quality, I personally wouldn't go that route. I also note that their product description states: "Honda requires all of these components to be replaced in order to rid the system of contamination". That is not true for the majority of CR-V AC issues. I would also find a mechanic who's skilled with working on Honda AC systems.
    Thanks Ozzie. Sorry it took so long to get back. The car has 170+ k miles on it so I might just go with cheaper. Honda parts and service would cost around 3K+, almost the worth of the car. If I do half the work I can get the whole system plus a new thermostat and water pump all put in for much less. I found someone online who put the cheaper system in & it's still running 3 years later. A car this worn is a gamble any way you look at it. I have to wait a week to get the freon out of it, then I can look at the hoses myself at this point & see if there's crud. Probley is as the car probably hasn't had a working AC for years & crud could get in through the cracks it has. I just got it last year and didn't need AC till last summer.
    Last edited by Lynn987; 03-23-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks all- I think I have a clear view of what I need to do.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast