Another no start issue - no spark
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another no start issue - no spark

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Another no start issue - no spark

I've been lurking on this site for some time now and generally all my issues/questions are found and answered, but this has me stumped.

I bought this CR-V a few months back with some issues and I've ironed out most of them but it suddenly decided it would crank but not start. It's getting fuel but no spark. I've replaced the crank position sensor, the ignition control module, plug wires, plugs, rotor, cap and swapped the distributor housing with one I picked up from a salvage yard off of a CR-V that was wrecked (obviously it ran lol) and still no change. The 15a fuse is good as well. The only thing I couldn't actually test was if the coil was sparking as I don't know a way to test that without one of those spark tester spark plugs... and I don't have one.

Earlier today I used a test light to check for power in the distributor to the coil and ICM and those where fine, but the switched signal to the coil pack seemed odd in my opinion. The light comes on when the key is in the on position, but it turns off when you try to crank the vehicle. You'd think that switched signal should light up on the tester when you're cranking the vehicle instead of the opposite way around. If that is the issue I have no idea how to fix it. I did check to make sure I had put the wires on the ICM properly and that checks out just fine.... but now I have no idea what else to check or do.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions??

Also, just in case anyone asks yes I have checked the timing and yes I had the valves adjusted. I don't think that's relevant but I have been known to be wrong lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    I'm guessing that you have the 1st CRV. You can take out one of the spark plug & Use a long nose vice grip it to a metal part of the engine then connect a spark plug lead to it then you can check for spark. Check also the colour of the spark. How many miles on the clock?

Thanks (Received)
    That's a pretty good idea, I'll have to try that out.
    Yeah, it's a 99 and it's got 130~140 thou on it. Don't remember the exact number.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    when you turn the key to the ON position does the Check Engine Light comes ON then shuts off after a few seconds?

Thanks (Received)
    FYI the spark tester tools are like $5 at most places (I bought 3 from harbor frieght last time they were on sale

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    The check engine light doesn't come on at all.

I'm going to ask around to see if I know anyone that has a spark tester or knows a place to buy one in town.

crv|oc Rank: Gold
    Thanks (Received)
    http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda...system-tests-1

This is an excellent article for that generation of CRV. I believe yours is a 1999.
    My guess would be the coil.
    If you crank the engine over with the distributor cap off or any of the spark plugs wires not grounded or attached to a spark plug that is not grounded, you can burn out the coil.
    If you need to crank the engine over with the starter (to line up the rotor screw ect) be sure to pull the proper fuse first or disconnect the low voltage connector going to the distributor.
    The ignition coils on that generation are know to be a problem. I don't believe you have to buy a Honda brand coil.
    You can do somewhat of a test on that coil with a good accurate multi-meter on the ohm setting. If the readings are even the slightest bit off, the coil is most likely bad.
    I can't remember the reading so you will have to look them up.
    So, my bet is on the ignition coil or the igniter (ignition control module which takes the place of points).
    Buffalo4
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 04-06-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cscribble View Post
    The check engine light doesn't come on at all.

I'm going to ask around to see if I know anyone that has a spark tester or knows a place to buy one in town.
    If the MIL light doesn’t come on and go out when you turn the ignition switch on, there might be a problem with the PCM. Check and make sure the bulb isn’t blown before going after that. If you have a scanner, plug it in and see if it communicates.
    -Brent

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
    2012 Honda Civic Si
    2006 Honda CR-V EX 6 Speed Manual 4WD
    2000 Honda CR-V EX 4 Speed Automatic 4WD

Thanks (Received)
    As what BDub said check the bulb 1st. If the bulb is good You might have a bad Main Relay.
    Let us know.

Thanks (Received)
    Buffalo4 - That was the exact article I used to test the ignition system. I don't have anything to test the hertz as it mentioned in that article but I did all the other tests before that.
    I replaced the ICM with a brand new unit and since I have two different coils I've tried to crank the vehicle with each of them with no difference. I have had all three of the coils checked on a multimeter and it's been a while so I don't recall what the numbers where.

BDub - PCM or ECU?
    I don't have a scanner but I can get one.

otto - I'm guessing you're talkin about the main fuel relay... I've been trying to find a way to test that with a test light or a multimeter but I haven't found anything really. This isn't my first Honda so I've had to deal with MFR issues before, I actually pulled that out and attempted to resolder it but my iron was crap. Now that I have a new iron I wanted to wait till I found a test for it to tackle it again. Any suggestions?

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast