Warranty or Worn Out
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warranty or Worn Out

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Warranty or Worn Out

2016 leased CRV lost all transmission fluid. We caught it in time before it all came out but had to have it towed 100 miles to dealer. They said no damage to transmission (AWD) but plug/seal (I haven't seen parts order) is worn and failed. $580 plus tax to repair. I had had an oil change just the day before and transmission fluid level was checked as part of the service. We have 41,000 miles on it. Why is this something not covered under drive train warranty? Do these plugs/seals just wear out from time to time as dealer suggests? Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    The don't wear out. If they don't cover it I would call Honda customer service and file a complaint against the dealer. That should be a warranty item.

2013 CRV EX (wife's)
    2014 Civic LX Sedan (mine)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (sold)

4. Thanksdennis101 thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    I totally agree with Coastie05.

6. Thanksdennis101 thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Sounds like they are trying to charge you labor to fix something they did. If they did the maintenance, they should have automatically done the repair for free when detected, and if they failed to detect it, again that's on them. What an amazing coincidence that this happened one day after they worked on it! Or is it? I think you're being scammed. I'd also call the State Attorney General's office, this sounds a lot like fraud. If there have been other such complaints, they will know, as should the BBB. Something sure seems fishy.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

9. Thanksdennis101 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    I had some maintenance done on my '07 Ridgeline in the fall...had an oil change at the same time...

The oil fill bolt stripped and I needed a new oil pan @ $350 +/- plus labor.

I mentioned, politely, that the only folks who ever changed the oil on this truck was their shop (look at your records).

We agreed to a 1/2 price oil pan and labor was waived.

Seems to me that your vehicle should still be under the driveline warranty...if you can not receive any satisfaction from Honda (which you should) then suggest 1/2 price from your pocketbook tops.

I wish you good luck!
    2018 CR-V Touring
    2007 Ridgeline

11. Thanksdennis101 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    The drain plug doesn't wear out. It can't. It sits there unused until the oil is drained. They don't suddenly fall out on their own. The only "seal" I know of is the washer that fits onto the drain plug. I wonder if the grease monkey at the oil change facility loosened it, realized it was the wrong plug when red fluid game gushing out, then hand-tightened it or worse, over-tightened it and stripped it out. (And then threw in any old ATF to top off his mistake.) I wouldn't even think the 2016 would be up for a transmission fluid change based on mileage (three years on a lease, probably no more than 45,000 miles on your CR-V at this point I'm guessing), so it never would have been touched.

If the oil change shop damaged it, Honda would not be obligated to honor the warranty. But if it was a manufacturing defect (which definitely could be a rare issue here), by all means they should honor it.

There could be some other "plug" on the transmission which isn't the drain plug, so, be sure to let us know what was on the parts order in case we're speaking of the wrong part. I'm guessing the 2016 still has a dipstick to check the transmission fluid? (I've heard that many newer cars have done away with the dipstick.)
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

13. Thanksdennis101 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    I am going to call the dealer now to check the "status of the repair". I am going to ask what part was bad and being replaced plus I am going to ask for the replaced parts. Then I will call Honda to see what they have to say before I pick my car up later today. Also FYI it was this same dealer that did the oil change. Thanks for your interest.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore fubarnow's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    180.000 Miles on my drain plug--they do not fail.
    Something is Fishy there.

16. Thanksdennis101 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)

Covered

Call to service rep: not returned; call to service rep: not returned; call to Honda Customer Service: need part#; call to dealer service manager: seal to rear axle and washer(?) bad, wrong part sent, vehicle to be done tomorrow at NO CHARGE to me!

18. Thanksfubarnow thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    The drain plug doesn't wear out. It can't. It sits there unused until the oil is drained.
    Yes, I know THEY messed it up.

100%.

I have had a FANTASTIC long term relationship with this dealership and my salesman/car buddy has been working there for 30+ years. I'm not going to burn this longstanding relationship over $180 bucks. They have fought for me with Honda on occasion and have always treated me fairly. And 'We' have always won.
    2018 CR-V Touring
    2007 Ridgeline

20. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast