Need help with Cold Starting Problem with 2005 CRV - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Cold Starting Problem with 2005 CRV

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Oh well, there goes me driving up to your house then for some mechanical help lol.
    Last edited by klrman; 04-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    10.8V was the lowest voltage this morning when starting. Problem is that this morning motor fired right up first go and starter had no hesitation turning the motor over. Will keep running the test every morning until the symptoms come back and then post here.
    Last edited by klrman; 04-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    Sorry I had to sign off last night it was getting late. I was hoping you are in Ontario so I can help you. No worries you can drive to my place for help lol. But it will be far. 10.8 means that the batter is healthy. Try this it could be a ground issue. When the symptom arises, hook up a jumper cable from the negative post of the batter to the engine block or other solid metal on the head or block see if the symptom goes away. But it could be a starter that is going bad as what Tigris is saying. I also know this Reman place that Remans Starters & Alternator that does high quality for a good price in the GTA. Keep us posted

5. ThanksCarbuff2 thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Hey no problem, I know you're on est. I swapped cars and left my crv at my brothers house so I will see it every 2-3 days until winter, so every time I'm there I will post back on this thread what I did. Thanks for the tip with the jumper cables, will try that next time it plays up. I did remove the bolt that grounds the negative wire of the battery, inspected and sanded it and re tightened but did not help. If it is the starter ground wire, that is going to be a pita as the starter is buried under the manifold. Will also swap the starter relay in the fuse box to narrow things down a bit. Any easy way to check the ignition switch as that could cause the same problem too? If I remember well now, it started to slowly get progressively worse once it went to Honda for an airbag recall but it could be just a coincidence.
    Last edited by klrman; 04-10-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    The starter is grounded through the bolts to the engine (and the engine grounded to the body). That is why otto888man's tip is so useful.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

Thanks (Received)
    So, if I use a jumper cable to test the ground when I have starting problems and that works, what should I do next, tighten the stater bolts? And, is there a way to get to the starter bolts without removing the manifold?

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Because of the ground paths, you need to verify that there is less than a half ohm resistance between the starter body (or engine, if the starter is inaccessible) to the center of the battery negative terminal.

The issue could be corrosion, a loose/disconnected ground wire, or corrosion. Sometimes the battery wires incur corrosion INSIDE their insulation near the terminals.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

crv|oc Rank: Gold
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Because of the ground paths, you need to verify that there is less than a half ohm resistance between the starter body (or engine, if the starter is inaccessible) to the center of the battery negative terminal.

The issue could be corrosion, a loose/disconnected ground wire, or corrosion. Sometimes the battery wires incur corrosion INSIDE their insulation near the terminals.
    Also check the ground wire to the engine that comes from the frame that holds the radiator. I think that is still where that wire is. If I recall correctly, it is the wire that you are supposed to connect to the neg clamp on jumper cables.

Buffalo4

crv|oc Rank: Gold
    Thanks (Received)
    Sorry, double post.
    Buffalo4
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 04-11-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: double post

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post
    Also check the ground wire to the engine that comes from the frame that holds the radiator. I think that is still where that wire is. If I recall correctly, it is the wire that you are supposed to connect to the neg clamp on jumper cables.

Buffalo4
    Ok, will look for that wire and give it a try thanks.

14. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast