Another Dead Battery Victim (2018 CRV)
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Another Dead Battery Victim (2018 CRV)

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Another Dead Battery Victim (2018 CRV)

I purchased a 2018 CRV, EXL 1.5L in September 2018. Within a couple of weeks of owning the vehicle, I decided to add a dash cam which is tied to a circuit that is powered with the engine off. I never had any dead battery issues until December.

Around December, my car sat in the garage for about a week at a time. Weekly, I would take the CRV for a 10-20 mile ride. I attempted to start my car the third week, and the battery was dead. This seemed to be an on-going occurrence.

In February, I had an aftermarket sound system installed, the amp used was a JBL Club-4505 (if that helps) and it powers off when the vehicle is not on.
    I kept playing this game with charge and die. Finally, I took my car to the Honda Dealer which I purchased it from to try and figure out what the issue was. Their initial response was aftermarket, aftermarket, aftermarket.

I was told by the tech that the CRV takes about 40 minutes to cycle down after it is shut off and since the car has multiple computerized devices that take power, 5 days to a week of the car not being used will cause battery drain enough not to power the vehicle.

The dealer conducted a battery test, and it is rated for 410 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and it measured 499 CCS. The voltage was 12.46. The tech told me that the drain was about .41 or so. He said that is ok, when it gets above .50 then there is a problem. There were also no dead cells.

The other day, I have my normal routine, drive to and from work, the next day my battery was low enough I could not start the vehicle.
    Upon calling the dealer again, they agreed to replace the battery. The dealer told me that sometimes aftermarket devices keep devices on even though they are off.

1. What are your initial thoughts?
    2. Could the alternator not be providing the battery charge when I am driving since my aftermarket camera and system could be using it
    3. What aftermarket replacement battery do you recommend? I was looking an Interstate MT-51R or a Yellow Top D51R?
    4. Do you have any opinions/feedback/reasons not to use the Yellow Top? I don’t have any experience with them.
    5. Any other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    My mk3 Honda isnt used every day and starts and runs fine. A new model car should not have these problems. Cars can be left for about 4 weeks and still start.

DO you lock the car when parked? Some cars are not good at shutting things off if not locked.
    Maybe the sound system and dash cam is live, but that should be easy to check.

Try disconnecting, unplug your all new aftermarket kit. RUn without for a few days and see what happens, then by a process of elimination turn one back on and try that.

Good luck

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Bosch AGM Group size 51 appear to do well. Each of our Hondas (Civic, Accord, CRV, Ridgeline) has either Bosch or Exide AGM battery and we also have a JNC660/770 series jump starter in each car for backup.

Normal battery maintenance for any car parked for more than 3 days -- we connect a CTEK MUS maintainer, sold on sale often on Amazon and other places (https:/ / smartercharger.com / )

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Thank you for your replies. Here is the weird thing, my car has been sitting since Thursday and started today (Monday) with no problems. For the two times the car died on the overnight, the only thing done differently was having the climate control system on for the previous drive home not. (came home Tuesday with the heat on, car would not crank Wednesday). When I turned the Climate Control System off, the car was able to crank. Do you know about any known drains coming from there, or know if having an amp hooked up would cause the climate control system to stay on?

Thanks (Received)
    Sounds like an electrical problem which any competent auto electrician should be able to fix. IF the dealer cannot fix it ask HONDA to suggest a competent alternative. Car should still be under warranty, so make it the dealers problem. You could take it back and leave it with them to fix, and demand a loan car. Speak to the boss of the dealer before you show up.

As an interim shut everything off BEFORE you switch the car engine off. See what happens.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore fubarnow's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    I knew it would All Boil Down to Climate Change.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements