Bad Bad Bad Oil Leak
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Bad Bad Bad Oil Leak

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Bad Bad Bad Oil Leak

So last week, we noticed a leak with our CRV. I noticed it when I came up our driveway and the oil light flashed. Checked it, and added 2 quarts and my wife took it to work that night, 8 miles one way. The next morning I took it to my work, 34 miles one way. By the time I got to work it was down over two quarts again. I pulled it into my shop and pulled the filter access plate, and the filter was fine. It looked like it was leaking from the front of the engine, but couldn't tell for sure. Called down to my dealership and made an appointment. I can't believe a CRV with 30,000 miles would have a problem like this. It's why I bought a Honda, so this wouldn't happen. Anyone else have any problems like this? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Thanks (Received)
    Some info is needed to tell if others had had the same issue. Year and trim please?
    One bad night! <--- Click for a totalled CR-V. All but 2 pics fixed.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Did you get a recent oil change done. Number one reason for oil leaks is overfilling.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore Doug Just Doug's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    2 qts in 50 miles? Assuming you're checking the oil level correctly, it must be almost pouring out! You're not getting tons of oil smoke from the engine compartment? Was there a recent oil change? If so, was the old filter's gasket left behind, so that now there's two gaskets? That's been known to happen, but you'd think the oil leak would start immediately.
    Current Garage:
    2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD
    2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Ltd.
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    2015 Kawasaki Versys 650

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    It would not only start immediately Doug, it'd empty the whole contents of the sump too.
    He says he looked at the filter and it was fine, so I assume it wasn't covered in oil like a gasket was gone/leaking.
    I'm not familiar enough with CR-V's to know, but is there an oil cooler in the radiator? Maybe a line to it got a leak in it.
    I'm guessing it's in a pressure fed area part of the system, but isn't a big hole as it didn't empty all the oil out. I'd expect to find oil dripping from under the car though at 2 qts/50 miles of driving.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    H-4-L his profile says it's a 2012 4WD 5AT
    Last edited by 20CRVEX13; 01-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Did you ever find out what the problem is? I am having the same, or very similar problem. Oil spewing all over the engine & undercarriage, particularly on passenger side of vehicle. Does not look like it is coming from the oil filter.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements