Really bad gas mileage!
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Really bad gas mileage!

ajk
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Really bad gas mileage!

Hi all, I am hoping some (or one) of you can help me out. I purchased a 2008 CRV in December 08 after trading in an 06 Odyssey - wanted a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage. Well, during the 5 months I have owned it (in the frigid arctic that is SE Wisconsin), it is averaging 15-17 mpg city and 18-21 mpg in mixed driving. I do not slam on brakes to stop nor do jackrabbit starts - I get dusted out of the gate by elderly Buicks.

So, I have noticed during internet searches that those of us with 2008s seem to have the poor mileage issues. Is there a reason for this? is there anything that can be done to correct it? I seriously got better mileage with the V6 minivan!! I love the CRV, but am very unhappy with the mileage I am getting. Am thinking about trading it back in for something else. So, any help?!! TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver Black Pearl's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)

Welcome To The Club!

Everynow and again we get complaints of someone getting really lousy mileage with gen 3 Vs. Yet I don't ever recall of some one posting back with any sort of solution. I notice with mine, that when it is cold out and I warm up the engine, the gas mileage suffers, but not like you are getting. Winter gas of course doesn't get as good of mileage either.

If you use the same brand of gasoline, try a different brand. I noticed on mine, that I got lousier mileage with Sunoco. If you can find a brand with low ethanol content, I think you may see some improvements. The usual recommendation is that after the car breaks in you will see an improvement. I never noticed any difference in mine. Check the tires for proper inflation. If you sit in traffic jams, your mileage may be about right.

Try taking your V out for a ride on an interstate where you can go the speed limit without fighting traffic. Reset your odometer and go for about 50 miles. Driving 60 to 65 with no traffic, your V should be able to get in the high 20s 27 or 28 with no problem. If it don't, you may want to take it to the dealer.

I haven't give you much to sink your teeth into, but like I say, we here the complaints but never a solution.

Welcome to the club, and good luck with your mileage problem.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Thanks (Received)
    Also, are you going by the gauge on the dash that tells you how many miles your getting, or by math fill-up? That will also make a difference because I've seen people get "50mpg" rolling downhill. Also, different things affect it. Do you push the pedal real hard from a stop light to get up to the speed limit in the city, or do you let it gradually climb. That is another thing that will reduce the mileage is hard acceleration.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

ajk
    Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for the quick replies! About the hwy, it's really only been on the open road for a trip to PA after we got it. Most of the driving I do is stuck at lights and short jaunts around town. (Def not a good way to get awesome mileage, but still...)

And about my acceleration habits: I do not gun it - I am a gradual accelerator. I calculate the mileage by the old miles driven/gallons filled method.

Anyway, just had noticed that a lot of the bad mileage complaints are from 08 owners and wondered if anyone knew why. I did bring it up to the dealer and they just told me that the mileage is compromised by the cold weather and having to heat the engine up. But, it's getting warmer now and am still not noticing an increase. Just irritated by it!!

Thanks (Received)
    How many miles do you have on the CRV? Is it a FWD or 4WD?

If the engine isn't broken in yet you can expect the mileage to get better....ours was about 6500 miles before things really got consistent. As to poor mpg, it's very easy to say that the winter gas, city driving all played a part in that. How are you determining the mpg, by using the computer or figuring out how many miles you drove per gallons used?

I can tell you that people make a difference in the driving; I get about 1-2 mpg better than my wife when driving. Our CRV has gotten an overall average of 23.9 mpg in just a tick under 50,000 miles. Some tanks were worse, some better but we track every gallon used and every mile driven in a notebook so that we can note if something is odd or needs fixing.

Let us know the answers to some of these questions and we might be able to pinpoint things a bit better for you.

We in the frozen tundra are you...I was born and raised in Milwaukee!

ajk
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland View Post
    How many miles do you have on the CRV? Is it a FWD or 4WD?

If the engine isn't broken in yet you can expect the mileage to get better....ours was about 6500 miles before things really got consistent. As to poor mpg, it's very easy to say that the winter gas, city driving all played a part in that. How are you determining the mpg, by using the computer or figuring out how many miles you drove per gallons used?

I can tell you that people make a difference in the driving; I get about 1-2 mpg better than my wife when driving. Our CRV has gotten an overall average of 23.9 mpg in just a tick under 50,000 miles. Some tanks were worse, some better but we track every gallon used and every mile driven in a notebook so that we can note if something is odd or needs fixing.

Let us know the answers to some of these questions and we might be able to pinpoint things a bit better for you.

We in the frozen tundra are you...I was born and raised in Milwaukee!
    It's an AWD with about 5100 miles on it. I do get better gas mileage than DH, he tends to jump out of red lights faster (much faster) than I do, since I try to baby it to get better mileage.

BTW, Badgerland - we're in s of Milwaukee in Oak Creek! Small world, eh?!

Thanks (Received)
    ajk, I can "hear" your accent talkin' eh! Trying to get in for Summerfest this year.

Thanks (Received)
    I'm not through my first tank, and so far I've gotten 20mpg mixed. Considering that I traded in an 08 Civic coupe that I coaxed 40mpg out of once, this is abysmal.

Check your tire pressures, I usually run a few psi above the door placard on my cars. Get rid of any junk in your Criv that you are not using. You have to accelerate all that garbage in your car. Golf clubs, gear bags, non-perishable groceries you were too lazy to get out of the back.... all this stuff detracts from your MPG.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements