Frame recall 2007-2011 cr-v - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame recall 2007-2011 cr-v

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    It would be nice if people would list their home state or country so we could see where the recalls are going!
    Is this a US problem or Canada, etc.
    I am in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. So far as I know, the recall is intended for areas where salt is used on the roads in the winter; regardless of where you bought it. Meaning that if you bought it in Alberta or Texas and you live in a salted state/prov with it, then it is eligible for the inspection.

I spoke with the service manager this morning (Dealer is across from my office) before I went into work and he said they have done 10 so far and only one was a buyback. It was a 2008 with over 250,000 KMs. He also let me know that the buyback offers are wholesale + tax + 15%. So for us overtaxed Canadians, that is 15% + 15%. The end result is that it means the buyback is in excess of the street price on a private sale or a used car lot. Clearly, this could vary if the recall is in the US northeastern states due to lower taxes and possibly different price pressures/laws. Check the NHTSA site to see if the recall spreads to the US northeast. For Canadians, you can check your CRV by going to the Honda.ca site and using their recall lookup tool with the VIN. Alternatively, for more info, go to the Transport Canada site.

The service guys here are down to about a half day per CRV to do the full inspection and work. I am not in until March 6th so it will be a bit for me to know what is happening. Where my CRV is a 2010, it is the refresh version of the Gen3 and it is always garage parked when it is home. It also only has about 140,000 KMs on it and we rarely take it on a lot of driving in the winter. Especially since getting the GenX Civic with all the radar and toys. I will certainly drop back by when I get the prognosis on my rig.

2. ThanksPurpleFender thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Just had my 2010 CRV inspection finished and it passed. The score at my dealership is now 76 in, 3 failed. All three were 2007/08 and were high milage. Close to the 150,000 or more mark (250k kms+)

I really wonder if the worst candidates are all in the 2007-09 and the mid model refresh are all going to be fine.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frontlinegeek View Post
    All three were 2007/08 and were high milage. Close to the 150,000 or more mark (250k kms+)
    Spoke with the service manager before leaving and found out two of the fails were almost 400,000 kms and one of them lived on PEI for almost its whole life, so lots of exposure to sea salt. It was a 2007. The 2008 was about 285,000 km.

6. ThanksPurpleFender thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    How did you make out? Pass or fail? The buyback offer I got wouldn't even get me a used Fit. And, I was a 16 hour drive from my home. Not a happy Honda customer.

Thanks (Received)
    I'm interested to see if this will apply to US vehicles. Our state gets salt slathered on the roads in the colder months, so as far as I see it, we are at risk.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    RELEASE IN THE MAGAZINE (PROTÉGEZ-VOUS) BY JULIEN AMADO FEBRUARY 21, 2019
    TRANSLATED BY GOOGLE

HONDA WILL BUY CR-V WITH CORROSION PROBLEMS

If you own a Honda CR-V (2007-2011), your vehicle could suffer from corrosion problems. The manufacturer will buy the models affected by this problem.

Transport Canada recently issued a recall regarding the Honda CR-Vs sold between 2007 and 2011, as the rear of the chassis could present corrosion problems. In some cases, the rust could attack the part where the suspension elements are fixed, which would increase the risk of loss of control of the vehicle if an element came off while driving. How do I know if my vehicle is concerned? Honda is recalling 83,953 vehicles in Canada. To find out if your CR-V is part of it, visit the Honda website and enter your vehicle's 17-character identification number (VIN).

Honda buys rusty models SUVs will be inspected at dealerships who will check the strength of chassis stiffeners with a punch press. If the sheet is resistant, it means that the vehicle is safe. The dealer will then coat the rear of the chassis with a rust preventive and return the vehicle to its owner. If the sheet is pierced, it is that the vehicle is too rusty. Two solutions are then possible: the purchase of the vehicle by Honda or a second more thorough inspection. In the case of redemption, Honda will offer you a certain amount of money. A dealer who wishes to remain anonymous explained to Protect Yourself the procedure provided by Honda Canada. According to him, the redemption price, determined by an internal Honda book, will be increased by 15%, plus 15% for the inconvenience caused, plus 15% for taxes. A special offer will also be available to consumers who wish to purchase a new CR-V

In the event that a consumer refuses the buy-back offer, Honda will conduct a second, more complete inspection, which will require the dismantling of the fuel tank, part of the exhaust and the parking brake. If the vehicle passes this second test successfully, the vehicle will be repaired.

Accept or refuse the redemption? "Usually, buy-back offers are the safest option for the consumer," says George Iny, president of the Association for Motorist Protection (APA). A consumer whose CR-V 2008 is worth $ 10,000 today could recover $ 13,000 or $ 14,000 in the end, which would allow him to buy a used car a little more recent without having to pay anything. " The interest of the offer also obviously depends on the mileage and the general condition of your vehicle. If you have an SUV in very good condition with less than 100,000 km on the odometer, it may be more interesting to keep it. If, on the other hand, your vehicle is in an average condition and has an advanced mileage, you should consider the buyback option and purchase a newer vehicle. If you refuse the buyback, keep in mind that the dealer may notice during dismantling that some parts not involved in the recall are too worn (cardan, exhaust, parking brake). In this case, it is you who will then have to pay for the replacement of these parts. Think about the replacement vehicle you may need. For the recall of CR-V 2007-2011, Honda provides a rental car for a week in the case of a buyback, and for a month in the case of a repair of the structure. "In a structural repair like this, the delays are usually long, warns George Iny. If the duration of the repair exceeds the period of one month provided for the rental vehicle, the consumer may have to pay part of the rental of a vehicle. "

11. ThanksCarbuff2 thanked for this post
    Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Sounds as if US owners are not subject to this action.

But, Forewarned is Forearmed. I would have a mechanic/body shop inspect the rear chassis.

A neighbor down the street from us in northern NJ recently offered their '04 Saturn Vue for sale. The sign said "frame rusted'. After three months they just got rid of it. (It had the Honda V6 in it, too.)

Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFender View Post
    How did you make out? Pass or fail? The buyback offer I got wouldn't even get me a used Fit. And, I was a 16 hour drive from my home. Not a happy Honda customer.
    Me or the OP? I made out fine. I passed. And as I noted above, my dealership was only finding the issue on the very oldest and salt exposed of the Gen3 CRVs.

14. ThanksCarbuff2 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Had my 08 CRV in for this recall 2 weeks ago, I'm in PEI. Test failed and was offered $8,450 as a buyout, which worked out for us as we were in the process of selling when made aware of the recall. The buyout was well above what we were looking through private sale.

Only 189,000kms on the car, and I think the top end black book value was around $7k. They said the same that was mentioned above, 15% "inconvenience fee" on top of the rated value based on KM's and model. When I was in signing the papers, they showed me a printed matrix that listed each buyout based on year/model/km's. Verified my buyout price but also notice that they were offering over $11k for an 08 with <60k's. Also, at the back of the lot was a graveyard of CRV's that failed the test. Was told that they had over 30 of them so far, and more coming through each day. Seems to be more of an issue here in PEI.

Thanks (Received)
    It's sad, but I'm hoping they will send all the failed CR-Vs to the automotive recyclers vs. just sending them all to the crushers. I almost think they might do the latter, only because some unscrupulous salvage yards might just turn around and put them back on the road.

The rear frames on our '09s look fine for now, but I hate to think another five or six years down the road, how bad they might get. My '97 is almost too rusty to work on. Many of the states in the US that experience a lot of cold weather and heavily-salted roads are going to see this condition. I just hope Honda America considers inspecting ours at some point.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

17. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast