Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2005 Front Suspension. OEM or afeter market

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Accordroch 
#1 ·
HI,
Sample question.
I have to work on both suspensions and the clutch (manual transmission)

The question is:

Original Honda part or after market parts?
I would like to hear opinions, suggestions and other things.

2005 Honda CRV (MT)

Thanks for replies,

#2 ·
My philosophy is,

If you are doing the work yourself (thus saving labor $$$) use OEM parts. Buy them from an online dealer (or at least see if your local dealer will match the online prices).

Some aftermarket parts are OK but it's a crapshoot. High labor stuff like struts make changing failed aftermarket parts repeatedly, time consuming.

Our '06 V's struts are still fine even after 180K miles of poor NJ roads. Our front control arm bushings are getting 'tired', though.

#3 ·
Just got done replacing front sway bar links and bushing. I used Beck Arnley 101-7325 Bushing and $9.98 Links from Amazon by Suspensia. I thought I might have a heck of a time removing the old links but it went smoothly without needing vice grip. It took 10 days to get the links (slow usps). Links looks like a good quality items. Bushing seems thinner but flexible. The old ones were hard after 161k miles. Will see how long these will last. KYB front struts are on the way from Amazon.....

#5 ·
My choice on a 17 years old car with 161K miles. ~$150 vs $500, I do the work.
$89.67 KYB vs $264.28 for Honda. Right
$68.78 KYB vs $221.10 for Honda. Left

Links are just linking two points. One side was broken and I didn't notice it until I changed the O2 sensor.

#8 ·
Got my new KYB structs installed last weekend. I had to get alignment done. Tie rod end holder on the KYB didn't match the original strut's . I'm not sure if the Honda strut would or not but I assume they would. Oh, well. Cost me another $82 for the alignment which brings the total to $240.64. Money well spent because the ride is so nice. The old struts didn't even retract.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.