Do The Tires Have To Come Off When Changing The Brake Fluid
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do The Tires Have To Come Off When Changing The Brake Fluid

Thanks (Received)

Do The Tires Have To Come Off When Changing The Brake Fluid

Hello Fellow CRV Owners,

Because my mechanic close up his garage, I have been searching for another mechanic. My manual states to change it every 3 years. Almost every mechanic I am calling wants to know why I need to change it out regardless of how long ago it was changed. So far two mechanics have told me they do not need to take the tires off to bleed the brakes. I have been watching tutorials on YouTube and a few say you need to take the tires off. I have also been told by various garages that the job will cost anywhere from $80.00 - $135.00. The $80.00 is with my own Honda brake fluid, that I would buy it and bring it with me.

Does anyone know what difference it makes; keeping the tires on or taking them off?

Thank you for your replies.
    Last edited by Epona; 04-18-2019 at 05:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore fubarnow's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    I don't know if you have to pull the tires if you're gonna
    "Bleed the brake lines", I haven't looked.
    When I do add fluid I don't use "Honda Brake Fluid"
    I just get a GOOD Brand of DOT 3 Brake Fluid.
    With other items under the hood I do use Honda brands
    but not for brake fluid.
    Use the DOT Fluid number that the car requires.

4. ThanksEpona thanked for this post
    Not-a-Mechanic
    Thanks (Received)
    What year is your V? Never heard of mileage for brake fluid, most say every 3 years. Wheels off in the driveway makes it easier. If you have a lift no need to take them off.

6. ThanksEpona thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by udraft View Post
    What year is your V? Never heard of mileage for brake fluid, most say every 3 years. Wheels off in the driveway makes it easier. If you have a lift no need to take them off.
    I am brain fuzzy today, you are right it is every 3 years. My CRV is a 2007.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    I don't take the wheels off or jack the car up. I turn the wheels left to get to the front driver side, turn them right for the front passenger side and slide under the back for the two rear wheels. It's only a matter of what works best for you to get to the bleeder valves.

10. ThanksEpona thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    They say take the wheels off to avoid getting brake fluid on them and gain easier clearance to work. It's not necessary. And shops with hoists definitely don't have to.

Many shops can't comprehend changing brake fluid and as a life long mechanic myself, I laugh about it. Reason being it shows they have little understanding of how anything on a car works, in this case the brakes. They know how to change parts (a monkey can do that many times) or prefer people not change it so they get more brake work in. Bigger shops actually have machines that change fluid in a matter of minutes with minimal effort.

The issue with doing it yourself is having g to be extremely careful not to accidently let air back into the system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. ThanksCarbuff2 thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epona View Post
    Hello Fellow CRV Owners,

Because my mechanic close up his garage, I have been searching for another mechanic. My manual states to change it every 3 years. Almost every mechanic I am calling wants to know why I need to change it out regardless of how long ago it was changed. So far two mechanics have told me they do not need to take the tires off to bleed the brakes. I have been watching tutorials on YouTube and a few say you need to take the tires off. I have also been told by various garages that the job will cost anywhere from $80.00 - $135.00. The $80.00 is with my own Honda brake fluid, that I would buy it and bring it with me.

Does anyone know what difference it makes; keeping the tires on or taking them off?

Thank you for your replies.
    Taking the tires off just makes it much easier to reach the bleeders at each wheel. But they don't have to come off. Up on a lift is even better. The real indicator on when to change the fluid is discoloration, not age. As long as the fluid is clear or relatively so, you're good. Once it gets dark like oil, it's due. Bleeding manually, at home, on the ground, without a bleeder setup, requires two people, one to operate the brake pedal, the other to work under the car, bleeding in the proper sequence and order. You can do it by yourself if you have a pressure bleeder setup. Most shops hook up a pressure bleeder at the master cylinder, run the car up on a lift (no need to remove wheels), and have it done in ten minutes. DOT3 fluid does not have to be Honda, but it can be. Either way it's just standard DOT3 fluid. FOR DIY, it's good to have a factory service manual. Bleeding order is: 1- Left Front, 2 - Right Front, 3 - Right Rear, 4 - Left Rear. From Service Manual Page 19-9.

14. ThanksEpona, charlieoc thanked for this post
    Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Agree that it is reasier to get to the bleeders when the wheels are off (unless you have a hoist in your garage as I do).

Many vacuum bleeders have right-angle fittings that makes it unnecessary to remove the wheels, but you still need to crawl underneath especially in back.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

16. ThanksEpona thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    All of your many answers have given me a better idea of the needed procedure. Also, since it was 3 years ago this February that I had the brake fluid changed out, I just looked under the hood with a flash light at the brake fluid and it appears to be a yellow see through color. So, therefore it appears that my CRV is still good to go.

I am so thankful for your replies! I want to take good care of my honey and this site is indispensable!

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    I bet that if you compare the color of your 3 year old fluid to new stuff out of the bottle, it will be MUCH darker!

Just sayin'.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

19. ThanksEpona thanked for this post
  20. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast