2006 CRV engine 2.4L replace w/2.0L?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 2006 CRV engine 2.4L replace w/2.0L?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2006 CRV engine 2.4L replace w/2.0L?

Hello, cracked block on our 2.4L Japan made, I'm told used 2.0 are direct replacement w/my old intake, alternator, a/c comp.? I'd put the 2.0 w/55K miles at 1/2 the cost of the 2.4 for the daughter, but want to make sure it's not going to cost more in the long run. Thanks for ANY input! I'm blind on this!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Whoever told you it is direct replacement is 100% wrong.

The computer is not tuned for 2.0. As well as the transmission is geared for the 2.4L.

Now a 2.4L out of a Honda accord/element which is much cheaper than those labeled for CRV is a direct replacement with manifold change only.

2.4L engine should not be that much more expensive. And cracking the block takes some serious neglect. Usually not proper antifreeze mix in extreme cold. So I would make sure that's the actual problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks Tigris, wife's daughter (who's 39) ran over a road sign, (putting makeup on down the road), and busted radiator and a/c condenser, after they got that fixed by someone, few days later, the car wouldn't start down in town, so they had it towed to a garage who then said the head was warped and head gasket, so they had that fixed, (another $400.+). Few days later, shredded the serpentine belt that wasn't fully lined up on pulleys and beat a hole in bottom of power steering reservoir hole, so I replaced all that, then wouldn't start again so they had it towed back to mechanic who did the head, and now he says pressure is building up in 1 of the cylinders and that's why it doesn't start. Now being told after adding something trying to seal block, nano-technologies product or something, still blowing back thru the radiator blowing a hose off even. He say's block is cracked?? What engine #'s would I need in searching for??? Or what's my better avenue? I've worked on lots of vehicles over the last 40 yrs, but the wife and her daughter are running w/this one on their own! BUT, in the end, just getting it fixed is the main thing so wife doesn't have to run her. Whew!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    I just bought a 2006 CRV with a 2.0L that was put in to replace the 2.4L. I have a perpetual CEL with a P0172 and no amount of trouble shooting will solve it. The guy I bought it from took it to a Honda dealer and a AAA approved service center and spent $2500 trying to get it resolved. The solution according to the technicians was to change the 2.0L engine to the specified engine 2.4L engine.

Thanks (Received)
    That's because it's the only option. Never going to get it right because the 2.0 cannot provide the readings on the sensors that the ECM requires.

People have a hard time understanding that just because it will bolt in doesn't mean it will work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgg7 View Post
    Thanks Tigris, wife's daughter (who's 39) ran over a road sign, (putting makeup on down the road), and busted radiator and a/c condenser, after they got that fixed by someone, few days later, the car wouldn't start down in town, so they had it towed to a garage who then said the head was warped and head gasket, so they had that fixed, (another $400.+). Few days later, shredded the serpentine belt that wasn't fully lined up on pulleys and beat a hole in bottom of power steering reservoir hole, so I replaced all that, then wouldn't start again so they had it towed back to mechanic who did the head, and now he says pressure is building up in 1 of the cylinders and that's why it doesn't start. Now being told after adding something trying to seal block, nano-technologies product or something, still blowing back thru the radiator blowing a hose off even. He say's block is cracked?? What engine #'s would I need in searching for??? Or what's my better avenue? I've worked on lots of vehicles over the last 40 yrs, but the wife and her daughter are running w/this one on their own! BUT, in the end, just getting it fixed is the main thing so wife doesn't have to run her. Whew!
    I know this is financially not funny, but I'm glad she was not hurt. My eldest granddaughter was coming back from a lake outing, with her sister, in her very nice '05 CR-V, when a big spider crawled up on her bare leg. Her sister screamed when she saw it, and she ran off the road, through the bar ditch and a fence, and totaled the car. Good grief! Luckily they were not injured, and she went right out and got another '05. She loves it. Kids! Scared me when I first heard it, but in the end, after I changed my drawers, I had to sigh in relief, and then laugh. It had to be comical to be there. Although, she didn't really see the humor in it.

Interestingly, on another side note, I just saw a YouTube video where a Japanese high performance shop took an Odyssey, pulled out the V6 and trans, and installed a Type R 2.0L with a 6-speed manual! He built the engine too - it was putting about 400hp on the ground. An interesting thing was that apparently, over there, those shops can extensively modify the engine computers to resolve such issues as error codes and completely different vehicles. Wow. That van is a real hot rod! He declined to elaborate on the cost, though, eh? The video is in Japanese, with English subtitles.

Now I want to do this to my CR-V. Talk about a sleeper! Just kidding, though. I am way too old for a project like that. But it would be fun!
    Last edited by kloker; 04-03-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements