Y2K - First Honda Build - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Y2K - First Honda Build

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

from coffee & cars this morning. This thing is so much fun to drive now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Could you comment on the coilovers? How are they on compression? You change the ride height only? Opinion on when there's 4 adults in there?

Thanks (Received)
    I went with the Yonaka coilovers. This is my first car I've ever put coilovers on, so it's been a learning experience. I left the spring settings as they were when they arrived and only changed the ride height. They are much more firm than the stock suspension they replaced, but not bouncy at all which is was I wanted to avoid. By comparison (if this helps) they ride about as firm as my wife's 07 4Runner with the X-REAS suspension, but not as firm as the stock suspension on the S2000 we used to own, or the Bilstein HDs I had on my Volvo wagon.

Overall I'm really happy with the ride quality. I really have no plans to mess with the compression rate because I want to avoid a bouncy ride.

As for having 4 adults in her car, I can't answer, and if I did it wouldn't be a fair answer. My daughter is 5' and weighs 100lbs. I only weigh 125 and my wife only weighs about 90, so the 3 of us may only add up to 2 'normal' adults. If I were to guess, under normal load with 4 regular adults, I would probably set the ride height slightly higher, but I doubt the ride quality would be any different.

5. Thanksflowremix thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Drove 2 hours Saturday morning from Houston to the Circuit of the Americas track outside Austin for the SVRA Championship Races. The ride quality from the coilovers was great, we only had some minor rubbing on the front wheels over some heavy bumps, but that was from the 8" wide wheels hitting the front fender liners.

My son drove up from San Antonio in his 01 Accord Coupe (with 17" Enkei wheels, Koni orange shocks, Neuspeed springs, upper strut bar, CL Type-S rear sway bar).

We were even able to tailgate using the picnic table for lunch.

The Vintage Championship races are held every November at COTA in Austin. If you're ever able to go I highly recommend it. No crowds, tickets are only $20 (+$5 for parking). The pit area and paddocks are open to the public and all the owners/drivers are easy to approach and talk to. I probably took about 200 photos on Saturday.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by schaff70 View Post
    We were even able to tailgate using the picnic table for lunch.

I have to admit I miss the picnic table.

Thanks (Received)
    I took advantage of a warm afternoon last week to sand down the wheels and got some fresh paint on them followed by several coats of clear to help protect them. I still need to freshen up the silver lips, but they can wait until spring for now.

Saturday night it was finally warm enough to tackle the sketchy paint damage on the passenger side door from the previous owner. I ordered a can of color matched paint and clear coat online and did a lot of reading and watching youtube DIY videos before getting started. The majority of the time was spent in prep work and repairing it correctly by removing the window trim, mirror and lots of careful masking areas to avoid any overspray.

I used almost the whole can of base coat and let it dry before giving it a light wetsand to smooth out some minor orange peel. I then applied a few coats of clear, but I'm not happy with the clear coat, so I'll be adding additional coats this weekend.

My daughter doesn't know it, but she's going to have a few things from the to do list waiting for her on Christmas.

Thanks (Received)
    I was able to mask off the door again, then wet sanded what I initially painted. After another good cleaning, I applied better coverage with the clear coat. I still wasn't happy with the results. I had quite a bit of orange peel in the clear coat, but the coverage was better as I put down 3-4 good coats. After letting it dry for a couple days, I began wet sanding the finish. I started with 1000 grit and finished with 5000 grit before polishing with the 7" polisher and a polishing compound. It finally looks presentable, although the color is off just slightly, but I'm OK with that.

I had enough of the base coat leftover, so I pulled the grille, scuffed the unpainted plastic center with a red scotch brite pad. I then cleaned and masked off the center and used the last of the black paint to color match the center of the grille. Topped it off with several coats of clear. I also sanded and primed the center emblem before painting it red. Only after painting it did I finally figure out what size red emblems will fit.

Grille looks so much better in glossy black instead of the chalky dull unfinished plastic.

I took advantage of LKQ's 40% off sale this weekend and picked up another black hood. The hood on there now is dented and has a bad repair job by the previous owner. The replacement hood needs fresh paint as the clear coat is gone, but the bottom of the hood will match the black that is on there now and that cuts down on 50% of the work. I was really holding out for an undamaged black hood from a pick n pull, but I don't think I'm ever going to find one close to home.

Once it warms up again I'll get working on stripping the finish off the replacement hood and getting it repainted. I'll post up a photo of the repainted door later this week. I'm still researching how to properly paint the plastic bumpers black to match.

The list :
    - EP3 Civic SI front seats (waiting in the garage)
    - upper strut bar
    - red/clear tail lights
    - rear spoiler
    - black painted SE front and rear bumper covers
    - black SE painted door handles
    - window tint
    - headers & exhaust
    - powered subwoofer
    - slotted front rotors
    - powder coated calipers
    - stainless brake lines
    - JDM front bumper guard
    - oil pressure gauge & water temperature gauge
    Last edited by schaff70; 11-26-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Nice job on the restoration! Keep up with the progress

Thanks (Received)
    Installed the red/smoked tail lights I bought her for Christmas.

While we were in there, I upgraded the bulbs in back to all LEDs. Amber LEDs for the turn signals, red for the brake/marker lights and extra bright white for the reverse lights. Actually I upgraded the reverse lights before we installed the new tail lights, but I moved the bulbs over.

Yesterday I installed the HID kit in the headlights and upgraded the front marker lights to white LEDs. I'm still looking for a set of dual function amber/amber LED bulbs for the front turn signals.

I picked up some color matched paint for the rear spoiler I bought her also. I'm hoping to get it painted and installed within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks (Received)
    Its looking great. I've been able to get every led bulb needed from super bright less dot com.
    Not the cheapest but quality.

14. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12