Y2K - First Honda Build
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Y2K - First Honda Build

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Y2K - First Honda Build

Been driving and modifying vintage Volvos for the last 10 years. Traded my 11 year project car - 1984 240 turbo intercooled manual wagon for a 91 Volvo 240 sedan for my daughter once she got her license.

My project car :

Traded it for a green 91 sedan

Some guy rolled through a stop sign and collided with her. It was a total loss.

Found a blue 92 sedan as a replacement. It was OK, but not nearly as well sorted as the 91 and it was a constant battle of fixing things. It was a good learning project for my daughter. We imported some e-code headlights from Poland, added red/clear tail lights, upgraded the cam, IPD 25mm sway bars, full front suspension rebuild (struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, strut reinforcement plates) IPD sport catback exhaust and more. It started developing a few issues at random and seemed like every weekend I was fixing something. Not an issue for a project car, but I didn't feel comfortable with her driving it as a daily so after 2 years of owning it, we sold it.

After nearly 2 months of looking at nothing but garbage cars in our price range (bad paint, burning oil, head gaskets etc...) I started looking at the first gen CRV as an option. Came close to buying a blue 2000, but with cash in hand and following the owner to sign the title we saw blue smoke out of the exhaust on deceleration. Pulled the plug and started looking again.

Came across a black 2000 with 88,000 miles. Ran OK, was really clean inside, but had some sketchy body work on the passenger front fender. Talked the guy down to a reasonable price due to the body work and no maintenance records.

The first weekend I had available, we both jumped in and tackled the timing belt. I had been doing some research prior so I knew what I was getting into. Initially things went well, disassembly was pretty easy. Went ahead and replaced the thermostat, plugs, wires, air filter, accessory drive belts and cabin air filter all in the same weekend. Found a bad driver side lower motor mount and hadn't ordered it, so had to buy it locally.

First startup after it was back together and it ran, but wouldn't idle. Took it back apart and the crank pulley wasn't timed right. I wasn't able to get the drive side of the timing belt under enough tension. Tried again and got it back together and it ran perfect.

Took a Friday off work to hit the pick n pull hoping to find a black fender and hood. Hers has some hail damage. No luck on the body panels, but we did pick up a roof rack and black painted mirrors.

2 weeks ago I ordered a DIY hydrographic kit for the interior trim with a carbon fiber pattern. Painted and dipped the air vents, mirror trim panel then put on some clear coat. For a DIY kit it turned out really well. I'll be able to post some photos tomorrow.

We have a Kenwood head unit ready to go in and while I have it apart I'm going to dip the radio trim panel to match.

Last Saturday I drove to Austin to pick up some parts for my daily (2001 Toyota Land Cruiser) from pick n pull and was able to pick up a black passenger front fender. We installed it Sunday and got all the panel gaps straight.

Future plans include
    - EP3 Civic SI front seats (waiting in the garage)
    - coil overs
    - BBS wheels/tires
    - sway bar end links
    - adjustable rear control arms
    - upper strut bar
    - powder coating the valve cover
    - red/clear tail lights
    - black trim headlights
    - black painted SE front and rear bumper covers
    - black SE painted door handles
    - hood with no hail damage
    - window tint
    - headers & exhaust
    - powered subwoofer
    - slotted front rotors
    - powder coated calipers
    - stainless brake lines
    - JDM front bumper guard
    - oil pressure gauge & water temperature gauge

2. Thanksmnestrud thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)

How it looks now with the new fender, roof rack and basket installed.

Thanks (Received)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Nice one Dad. It will be a great project. Raised 3 kids and shuttled them everywhere in a 16V 740 wagon with many IPD bits too, and the Mrs still pilots the V70R.
    Hard to find rust free 1st gens around here, still looking for a '01 5 speed as I fiddle with my 03 5 speed...

Enjoy your time with your daughter- you are teaching her many useful life skills.

Thanks (Received)
    Made a little more progress last weekend. I picked up a Kenwood radio with Bluetooth and a wiring adapter almost a month ago. I connected the radio harness to the adapter, but did not have the time to install it after reading how much work it was to remove the center console.

We pulled the panel Sunday and while my daughter was attaching the radio to the brackets I prepped and painted the console trim to get ready for applying the carbon fiber hydrographics. After dipping the console and applying the clear coat I'm really happy with how it turned out.

We got the radio installed and ran the microphone wire up the driver side a pillar. Got it back together, but didn't take any photos yet. I've also been gathering some parts here & there getting ready to order the coilovers.

I still need to go to the pick n pull and get a seat base to mess with so I can figure out how to adapt the EP3 SI seats into the front. I'll update with some photos this weekend.

Thanks (Received)

Thanks (Received)
    This is a slow build if i didn't state it before. Having just moved into a new house less than a month ago and my daily driver (2001 Land Cruiser) approaching 250k miles my time is stretched pretty thin between maintaining my truck and all the projects that come with a new home (painting, new light fixtures, etc)

The Land Cruiser's suspension is getting tired and most of the suspension bushings are needing replacement. I'm not ready to let go of the truck as I really enjoy not having a car payment. I've owned it for the last 13 years and still enjoy driving it.

Got the CRV in the garage today to tackle front and rear sway bar end links. I showed my daughter how to remove and replace the driver's front and she took care of the rest. I was on standby in case she needed a little extra help.

While the passenger front wheel was off we installed a new motor mount on that side. The driver side was replaced when we took care of the timing belt.

In back while we had it apart I went ahead and installed the adjustable upper control arms in preparation for the coilovers once my budget frees up a little spare cash.

Ran into a bit of a problem though as one of the lug nuts decided it didn't want to let go. Not sure what happened because the day we bought the car I personally removed all the lug nuts and reinstalled them with a torque wrench to make sure if she got a flat she would be able to remove the wheel herself.

It wouldn't budge with the impact wrench so I grabbed the breaker bar and sure enough, it broke - the wheel stud. Now I get to look forward to replacing the hub or maybe just the stud.

Last week I ordered some Car Guys plastic restorer to try. I haven't had much luck with off the shelf Meguiars or Mothers products with keeping the unfinished plastics from fading.

Name:  s-l225.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  9.5 KB

She applied it to all the wheel trim and bumper covers, so we'll see how it holds up during the forecasted rain this week.

Still have a long list of things I want to do with her car and I keep adding to it.

As if I didn't have enough to do, I also picked up a project car of my own the same weekend we moved into the new house.

It's an 88 Accord LX-i coupe that has been sitting since 1992.
    Last edited by schaff70; 09-03-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    No real updates lately. Installed new sway bar end links and painted the spare valve cover I picked up a month or so ago with some VHT wrinkle red paint. I couldn't find the red anywhere locally so I had to order it online.

It turned out pretty good, but I still need to sand down the raised letters so they are silver instead of red. I'm going to hydro-dip the intake plenum, I just haven't decided on a pattern yet.

I also ordered a set of Yonaka coilovers last Friday, so big changes are in the near future.

Thanks (Received)
    Got the new coilovers installed last night. While we were at it we installed the new headlights with black trim to replace the aging stock headlights which were yellowed and scratched up. Got the suspension done last night, but it was late. This morning I went out to the garage and got all 4 corners at about the same height. The front tires rub the fender liners on heavy compression, but there is enough ride height for daily driving that I won't have to worry. This is mainly due to the 8" wide wheels. Offset is just how I wanted it with the wheels near the outside edge of the fenders.

List is getting shorter :

- EP3 Civic SI front seats (waiting in the garage)
    - upper strut bar
    - rear wing
    - red/clear tail lights
    - black painted SE front and rear bumper covers
    - black SE painted door handles
    - hood with no hail damage
    - window tint
    - headers & exhaust
    - powered subwoofer
    - slotted front rotors
    - powder coated calipers
    - stainless brake lines