Balancer Shaft sprocket pin dowel or woodruff key?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balancer Shaft sprocket pin dowel or woodruff key?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Balancer Shaft sprocket pin dowel or woodruff key?

Has anyone removed the balancer shaft sprocket in a 2004, 2.4L K24A engine? If so, was there a woodruff key of any kind to keep the sprocket in place? I just removed mine and there is a gap in the sprocket and in the shaft that could house one, but I didn't find it. I have not seen one in any online schematics. The Haynes manual refers to a dowel pin where I would expect the woodruff key to be, but I've never heard it called a dowel pin. I'm trying to set the balance shaft timing and need to align the "dowel pin" on the shaft and mark on the pump housing, but can't tell what the dowel pin is and I can't tell what keeps the sprocket locked into place on the shaft. I've scoured the internet and this site with no luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Did you simply happen to have the key fall off without realizing it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    I don't think so. In retrospect I think it broke into bits. When I removed the sprocket were bits of metal came off with it. At the time I thought it was residual metal from valve/piston damage from the timing chain failure. Connecting bits of information together I now think the key is part of the balancer shaft (hence that's why there is no part number for it) and not a woodruff key. If anyone out there can confirm this, it would be great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Do you have a keyway milled in both the shaft and sprocket? If so, then most likely there was a key there at, and if you had things lock up with the timing chain failure, that probably caused the sprocket to spin and shear the key. We do a lot of machining of these types of parts, and very rarely would you have the key machined onto either of the parts. You can measure the width and depth of the keyways and find a key at the auto parts. If one of the keyways has a radius milled in the bottom, they it would be a woodruff key.

7. ThanksJCS2 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    It wouldn't be part of the shaft, would be part of the sprocket like the crank sprocket is.

Just go to the auto part store with the sprocket and get the one that fits the groove.

Chances are though if that broke then the balance shaft assembly is garbage because it got metal in it.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by stlmo View Post
    Do you have a keyway milled in both the shaft and sprocket? If so, then most likely there was a key there at, and if you had things lock up with the timing chain failure, that probably caused the sprocket to spin and shear the key. We do a lot of machining of these types of parts, and very rarely would you have the key machined onto either of the parts. You can measure the width and depth of the keyways and find a key at the auto parts. If one of the keyways has a radius milled in the bottom, they it would be a woodruff key.
    Yes, there is a gap in the balancing shaft too. I am off to the auto store tomorrow to find a key. Thank you!

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    It wouldn't be part of the shaft, would be part of the sprocket like the crank sprocket is.

Just go to the auto part store with the sprocket and get the one that fits the groove.

Chances are though if that broke then the balance shaft assembly is garbage because it got metal in it.

There were metal pieces in the balancing shaft area when I took it apart and cleaned it the first time (removing the sprocket was the second time I took it all apart). The oil pump is work though as I have good pressure. The shafts appear to spin freely so how would I know if the whole assembly is garbage?

Thanks (Received)
    Take it part and check for damage to the balancers or any other moving parts. Make sure there is not serious damage as it can cause vibration issues or even worse, lock up or break.

Also replace the oil pump internals if there is any grooves or anything in there. Better safe than sorry and the couple parts for the pump to rebuild it are fairly cheap and good insurance.

12. ThanksJCS2 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    I just bought a used pump/balancer assembly from ebay. If the picture is accurate, it should be a good replacement. This should eliminate uncertainty about a woodruff key or internal damage. I will update when I have more. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks (Received)

Update on old oil pump shaft.

I removed the old balancer/oil pump assemble and removed the sprocket. I didn't realize it before but the direction of the gap where the sprocket goes over wouldn't work as a woodruff key holder to marry up with the sprocket. I am really stumped with this. When the used assemble arrives I will know for sure how the sprocket is supposed to go on and what the "dowel pin" the Haynes manual describes really is.Name:  DSC00878.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  34.2 KBName:  DSC00877.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  38.3 KB . I think I uploaded two images but I can't see them in this post. If you can't see them let me know, and I'll try again.

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast