How Much Can You Tow - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Much Can You Tow

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Kloker

You can actually over tow a bit on non-commercial vehicles in most states. Can't tow double the capacity (and it's takes solid skills to handle running over weight on something like a CRV, highway speed is pretty much a no no) but going a bit over hurts nothing. I am yet to see DOT or LEO pull portable scales out on anything small. "Smallest" I've seen is big pickups pulling big trailers getting checked, but more so over the plates (in Illinois they have a weight limit for type of plates) and License GVWR/GCVWR restrictions. See them going after grain haulers and dump trucks all the time though.

I've towed right at 1500lbs with maybe an extra 100lbs in my CRV and it was WORKING pulling the weight at 55-60, just a light wind (5-7mph) towing a little squaredrop camper was making that engine work hard. Towing was smooth and stable but 1500lbs is the max the pour engine can handle unless just around town for short trips.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yeah you can probably get away with it, but it's not very safe. Besides, most drivers do not have the skills or common sense to pull anything, at any weight, so an overload is just asking for trouble.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    Yeah you can probably get away with it, but it's not very safe. Besides, most drivers do not have the skills or common sense to pull anything, at any weight, so an overload is just asking for trouble.
    You are 100% correct there. I see morons towing flatbeds with ATVs and side by side having all kinds of issues cause the dumb kids don't have first freaking clue what they are doing. Lots of people towing little trailers just zipping around like nothing is going on.

I grew up with family towing a boat for camping trips or our dune buggy (I'm from California originally) behind 79 Ford pickup, then Jeep Cherokee and Wrangler a couple years after we moved to Midwest. Towing with the wrangler was interesting. They really aren't heavy (don't weigh much more than a CRV) and towing a big old tri-hull full of crap the Jeep had the power but wheel base and lack of weight made it sketchy.

Personally except for short trip I won't tow over 1000lbs with my V and that's having an 7.5*12 stacked plate trans cooler. Have same size standard cooler I put on our Odyssey because the previous camper was 1500lbs plus the extra crap for business at events along with me, wife and kids.

Work as a mechanic for a while especially in a shop that deals in transmission rebuilds you learn QUICK about making sure a transmission doesn't get hot.

Thanks (Received)
    I think that trans cooler is a great idea. Heck, most folks probably don't realize that a CR-V carrying four adults and a pile of luggage can bump up against the capacity limits, and cause the trans to run hot. Is that cooler you have the OEM one made for the Odyssey towing package or aftermarket?
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    No my trans coolers are after market. Odyssey may use the same basic old school design for the OEM unit.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Sure wish Honda made the USA CVT auxiliary cooler friendly, like they did for other countries.
    2017 stripped EX-L - unmolested by the dealership
    Built July 2017, Indiana USA

MAN LAW - raise your hood once a week and have a look

Thanks (Received)
    To answer the o.p.'s original question, I have towed 185,000 pounds. Just not with my CR-V! I did some heavy hauling for a few years. My youngest son does it right now. For your edification here's what he had on yesterday:

Name:  50830660_10155685078166364_3407728654392754176_o.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  41.9 KB

Warning! Do not attempt this with your CR-V. Just kidding.
    Larry

9. ThanksRockyMtnCRV thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

I wouldn't attempt that load with my dually.
    1998 CRV LX 2wd (Ret)
    2016 CRV SE 2wd (Current)

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post

I wouldn't attempt that load with my dually.
    Lol, oh why not???

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12