Towing with 2008 CR-V EX-L
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing with 2008 CR-V EX-L

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Towing with 2008 CR-V EX-L

Hey all!

I looked through a bunch of threads on this forum and am still in question of my vehicle's capabilities to tow.

In May I am moving from Michigan to Boulder Colorado. I am taking my bedroom with me, and that is about it. So king-sized bed, two IKEA floor storage units (25 lbs each), about 100 lbs of clothes, 55 inch TV, and other small amenities.

I am looking to rent a Uhaul 5x9 utility trailer for the move. Its empty weight is 1,240 lbs. I know that Honda recommends only towing 1,500 lbs, but the tow hitch guys (recommended to me as experts) say that they have had people successfully tow about 2,500 with the same vehicle.

Does that sound right?

I know Honda recommends 850lbs of cargo weight including passengers, cargo, and tongue load. It will be me and my girlfriend (300 lbs), and house stuff in the car (400 lbs).

So! My question is, is this trailer good for me? Besides performance while towing, will going over the Honda recommended 1,500 lb tow limit damage my vehicle in any way? What is the TRUE max this CR-V with 4wd can pull with no damage?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Those tow hitch guys are FOS.
    Rent a truck.
    1998 CRV LX 2wd (Ret)
    2016 CRV SE 2wd (Current)

Thanks (Received)
    Many folks calculate max towing based on pure math number. re: Internal vehicle passenger weight + internal cargo weight + vehicle hitch weight + empty trailer weight = remaining max weight. Numbers always looks great on the white board. But in reality, many folks forget to include "feels like" when fighting a head wind, "feels like" when pulling up hills and "feels like" attached trailer's wind draft. Some "wind drag" of attached trailers can feel like an additional 500 lbs.

Long mumblings short... If this is a one time move (from point A to Point B), I'd rent a truck. No need to push an I4 engine vehicle towing things - where there's better alternatives. Especially if you plan to keep the vehicle for many more years.

Hope this helps...

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tstruna30 View Post
    In May I am moving from Michigan to Boulder Colorado.
    In a couple of years I won't be far behind--we're leaving the same state for something on that side of the country. Slim chance a possible future employer might be in Boulder but I'm open to anything, especially Utah or Colorado. Only difference is, we have an entire household to move.

Anyway...

An enclosed 5x8 U-haul cargo trailer (enclosed) weighs 900 pounds, if you can stand to lose a foot in dimensions. The 5x10 cargo trailer is 1,250 pounds. I found the open utility trailer you mentioned on their site also.

The weight limit for our CR-Vs is higher in other countries, largely due to legal issues. The problem isn't only acceleration and handling, it is also about stopping all of the extra weight. A trailer with its own braking system is safest, but I don't see U-haul offering that on their rentals. Without any brakes on the trailer, I would stick to what the US owner's manual says and not exceed the 1,500 lb. limit and recommended tongue weight. If something bad happens, you could lose an insurance claim (or get sued by anyone else who is injured) by exceeding the weight limits on the trailer. Sure, it can probably pull up to 2,500 lbs. (I think that might be the limit in other countries), but that doesn't make it a good idea here even with trailer brakes.

Since there are two of you moving, renting a smaller truck and driving the CR-V out there probably makes better sense and causes less grief and worry.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    What you plan to move is fine to tow. HOWEVER that Uhaul trail you CANNOT tow. Not only because of it's weight but more importantly it's size. The weight and size combined (enclosed way overly heavy trailers) a CRV can't handle.

Why a 5x9 enclosed weighs that much is beyond me but that's uhaul crap.

This is why I built my own trailer (we are moving to St Louis in June)

Better to just buy a small cheap trailer and wrap everything in tarps/plastic so it doesn't get wet. Done. Sell the trailer when you get there and your not out any money.

These guys don't get the cost of renting a truck to go that far with that little is just a waste.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tigris99; 03-28-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks (Received)
    These guys don't get the cost of renting a truck to go that far with that little is just a waste.

What is the cost to repair a burnt out tranny? Or repair body damage due to an inability to stop/ control the load?
    Both likely cost much more than an 11 year old CRV is worth.

CRVs are wonderful for moving people and groceries but they are only piddling as a workhorse.
    Last edited by Wrascal; 03-28-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    1998 CRV LX 2wd (Ret)

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post

What is the cost to repair a burnt out tranny? Or repair body damage due to an inability to stop/ control the load?
    Both likely cost much more than an 11 year old CRV is worth.

CRVs are wonderful for moving people and groceries but they are only piddling as a workhorse.
    WTH are you smoking?

Replacement transmission, 300-500 plus install. Complete rebuild $2500.

Not sure why you are here if you have no clue what a CRV is capable of. Another one of "it's just for hauling the kids" crap. And it's that, crap.

Plus obviously you havent actually gained an understanding of towing. 500-1000 lbs behind a CRV is nothing is loaded correctly. It's the size of the trailer that's the problem. Can't do a big enclosed trailer.

The couple hundred pounds of stuff he has to haul, go to harbor frieght and buying a trailer for $300 (make sure to grease the bearings when assembling) or buy a used trailer for the same price which is 1/4 or less of what a truck will cost and take what little he moving and not worry about it.

Man I get sick of this "cant do anything because it's a Honda" garbage on here. It's called know the limits, the real limits, do it properly and you'll be perfectly fine.

FYI I tow 1000lbs+ behind my 2003 all the time. Towed 1500lbs plus 150lbs+ of firewood in the hatch. That was about 70 miles round trip and trans wasn't barely above optimal temp. Engine was working but transmission didn't care, that's what a cooler is for along with not driving like an a-hole.

Will be using it to tow my trailer which is about 400lbs plus whatever we put in it for multiple 300 mile trips over the next 2 months moving to Missouri. Not concerned one bit about it holding up. Trailer will probably weigh 600-900 total loaded. Had 300lbs in crap in the trailer the other day (taking junk to the dump) so about 700lbs and CRV could have cared less it was back there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tigris99; 03-29-2019 at 02:12 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    I am the second owner of my '07. The p.o. towed one of the aforementioned small U-Haul trailers, with the trailer and the car fully loaded, plus two adults and a baby, 1,500 miles from long Beach to Austin, with no ill effects. This trip was to move Grandma and her stuff. Of course it's possible to easily overload such a setup, but it's also possible to properly balance the load and have a safe trip. A little common sense and restraint will go a long way.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    WTH are you smoking?

Your obvious pride in the V is showing but with age comes experience (two CRVs, one F150, two F250 - V10 then diesel, now a diesel dually F350).
    I'm not dissing Honda, IF he had the correct Honda (Pilot, Ridgeline) I'd suggest he continue with this job.

Y'all do as you please but you've been warned; if you exceed the limits you're asking for trouble (maybe a short distance is ok, but not a 1000 mile roadtrip, overloaded, at highway speeds?).
    Last edited by Wrascal; 03-29-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    1998 CRV LX 2wd (Ret)

Thanks (Received)
    Of course it's possible to easily overload such a setup, but it's also possible to properly balance the load and have a safe trip.

A properly loaded bumper mounted trailer needs a minimum tongue weight of 10% (ideally up to 15%) of its total weight to be properly loaded.
    A lesser load easily leads to trailer sway at highway speeds/ conditions; the small/ lightweight CRV could easily be susceptible to this problem.

My pulling history goes back a bit: I started with a collapsible camper, (1970s, it resulted in a burnt out tranny), a 6' util. trailer and now a 17' one rated for 15K pounds. The first camper led to a 24' one, then a 32' fifth wheel, now a 42' 16K pound fifth. So I speak with experience.
    Last edited by Wrascal; 03-29-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    1998 CRV LX 2wd (Ret)

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast