1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proof gen 2 is FULLY Capable for its class

Thanks (Received)

Proof gen 2 is FULLY Capable for its class

Gen 2 CRVS are more capable than so many want to admit.

14+ inches of heavy snow on top of 1" of sleet/ice.

50% Tread cooper Discoverer AT3s.

CRV 9 points, mother nature 0, and local police threw in the towel even with newer full size SUVs.

First pushed out of 12" out of my slight up hill incline driveway. Then we spent 35minutes getting our Odyssey out into the road (on the road which plows had made a couple passes already, the Odyssey was playing hell moving around).

After that seeing as the plows had pushed all that snow right up next to where the van was parked, used my V to push most of it back and mow it down to manageable depth.

Finally at 1130 PM a younger women coming home from work posted on FB city page needing help in town accross the river. They had to bring the plows in and put a full tow ban into effect. Her car was buried in the mide of the road like several others due to ice base over deep snow. I went across the river to go help.

Police wouldnt even get close and gave me the 3rd degree at first about coming out. Chilled out when realized I was set up for it and I was only going to try to get the car free if it wasnt too risky, but mainly to get them home safe because they were outside of town exposed to the full force of the storm. They wouldnt even go down the road to the car with their fancy Ford explorers. Made them walk (I asked him to move so I could at least drive down close so they didnt have to hike out, but wouldnt, made them walk all the way back to us).

He then asked about road conditions from my.house to there and asked me to go straight home after dropping them off. I was a smart ass and asked "what's going to happen when you get stuck, lol, I'll be at home". Lightened their moods for the night which was cool.

Also my father got his 4runner stuck by mistake and he has some insane mudding tires on the thing (forgot that low range was required for lockouts to engage) so went to help him. He got out but **** himself when I made his long uphill driveway look easy with nothing more than his narrow ruts to follow.

Gotta say tires do kinda make the vehicle lol.

Have the New Discoverer at3 4s on the way for this now. Cooper just makes damn good tires that are not all marketing fluff, they do the job as good or better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Just amazing!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    http://kmsahead.blogspot.pt/2017/06/...-portugal.html

Thanks (Received)
    Another update from dealing with this INSANE WINTER we are having.

I picked up a second job delivering pizzas because of debt incurred due to be off work longer than expected (months longer) due to shoulder injury and amount of surgery etc to repair it.

Not even the driver with full snow tires can keep up.

Few vehicles in the area can hang but they have proper tires and proper 4 wheel drive (guys that have proper tires on Jeep Wranglers). Compared to them this V and much but it makes them take a double take when I'm right behind them in several inches of snow even on steep hills (or they follow me up said hills).

I do want to investigate retrofitting the electronic controlled rear differential so I can set up manually activated 4wd if possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for the update!

Be well and safe driving to you!
    2018 CR-V Touring
    2007 Ridgeline

Thanks (Received)
    I think we amaze a lot of others with our CR-Vs. The first time I took my '09 out in the snow (I bought it in 2016), I was surprised at how well it cut through everything--with the AWD and the traction control kicking in, it was cutting through some pretty deep stuff with no problems at all. It's been pleasantly stable in the rare bad weather we have here.

I just wish it had more power--out in Utah, I had a little panic since I barely made it past one switchback when I came out of the canyon at Canyonlands (on Shafer Canyon Rd.)--there is no room to back up and get a running start, and it really strained in 1st gear to get enough power to get moving again. I likely will get a Pilot, the 2nd gen RDX or an MDX which all have a V6 next time out. (Can't afford the new Passport for several years, but that is ideal for what I'd like to have.)
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    Nice

Ya they are a lot better than people want to give credit for. I don't have ABS, traction or any of that. Just a plain old real-time 4wd LX.

I was shocked you have a power issue. I've pulled vehicle bigger than my CRV out of the snow with little trouble multiple times. Last thing I pulled out was a Saturn sedan (so close to the same size). A co-worker was a dumba$$ and parked on top of snow/ice pack when our thaw started, crap was 6"+ deep. His car sank down and was resting on body, tires where touching nothing. Grabbed my tow strap and pulled him up and out and about another 4 car lengths up onto the gravel no problem, no assist from his car at all because as soon as I saw him close the door I started pulling. CRV barely gave a crap. Maybe gen 2 1st gear is lower range than gen 3????

Of course after that I had to play a little as there was a basically a pond sized puddle in the middle of ice/snow pack.

Sadly no more fun in the snow. However I have learned of some class b roads not too far from me. Hoping to see what they are all about as police with their fancy SUVs hate the roads, avoid them during the winter time lol.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Tigris - My best friend swears by Coopers and has for many years - they are all he runs. I've never owned any. Is your car an automatic? I wonder if a manual wouldn't be the best at this stuff. It's what I'd want. Of course, no such issues here, though we do get ice in winter, snow is rare.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing about that business of changing the diff over to manual activation.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    I was shocked you have a power issue. I've pulled vehicle bigger than my CRV out of the snow with little trouble multiple times.
    I haven't had a chance to try much in really heavy snow, as it is rare these days that we see any large snowfalls here. The largest my '09 has seen was maybe 8" or so, about a month after I bought it in 2016. I would say a rare 10-12" snowfall would only happen every 3-4 years, with 4-5" being more normal as our largest snowfall.

The only time I ever got stuck in my '97 CR-V (in the 20+ years we've owned it) was when we had one of those 12" storms. I cut the bottom of the driveway a little close and the front tire went over the street curb. So what I ended up with was having the curb between the front and back wheels, no traction, and packed snow front and back. It took some digging to get it out. Otherwise, though, it usually cut through anything I drove it through.

The 3D view is somewhat distorted, but this is what I had to deal with coming out of the canyon

Name:  canyonlands-switchbacks.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  85.6 KB

It was one of those switchbacks that was on enough of an incline that I barely kept moving and way too sharp to get a running start. These switchbacks are tight enough that it often takes a full turn of the steering wheel to maneuver, and in places there is room for only one vehicle at a time on the road. The only vehicles I saw were either larger SUVs (with a V6 or V8) or Jeeps running in low gear.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    Kloker

Ya mine is an automatic. Manual trans are rare these days, at least ones people want to part with.

Wildcat, the big thing isn't engine size as much as gearing. Can have all the power you could build and if gearing is too high your in trouble in those conditions. If jeeps were in low range there is your answer, just too much for standard gearing. A bigger engine isn't going to do you any good as its going to be geared accordingly. Any 4wd truck or SUV you likely saw out there all have low range gearing options. It's it's bigger than our crvs and 4wd it has low range on the transfer case.

For me, getting through where you did, I'd call that a hell of a win for a gen 3 crv. The fact it made it speaks volumes and probably turned a few heads.

Thanks (Received)
    Altitude will start to make your engine struggle too. I think the figure is something like 3% power loss for every 1000 feet above sea level. So where Wildcat is running, according to the Google machine, is about 6000 feet above sea level. I've never ran anything at elevations higher than between 2-3000 feet, so I can't say what affect it would have.
    -Brent

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
    2012 Honda Civic Si
    2006 Honda CR-V EX 6 Speed Manual 4WD
    2000 Honda CR-V EX 4 Speed Automatic 4WD

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast