3 old tires and one new...Honda CRV 2015 Touring.
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 3 old tires and one new...Honda CRV 2015 Touring.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

3 old tires and one new...Honda CRV 2015 Touring.

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum.
    Yesterday, while driving on I94 I may have run over a nail and had a flat tire on rear drivers side. My Touring is a 2015 model with about 14,000 miles on it.
    Being a Saturday afternoon, I had no option but to drive on my spare tire for about 20 miles to a Firestone tire shop. As I had to drive back home (150miles away), I decided to have my flat tire replaced with a brand new Firestone brand 99T speed rating tire as I wasn't feeling comfortable driving on a spare tire.

My questions:
    1) Is it still safe/recommended to drive my Touring with 3 Dunlop brand/1 Firestone brand tire?
    2) The 3 older tires have 8/9 tread depth, having driven 150 miles (with a new Firestone brand tire) would I have done any damage to my car?
    3) I still haven't seen the dealership yet, but I am worried that I may be shelling out money to have all four tires replaced in order to have uniform tread wear and no damage to transmission??

Any help would be appreciated.
    Vj

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    There should not be any problems with 1 new and 3 old with good tread depth. Certainly given a choice it is always best to replace all 4 tires together. But life happens and sometimes other choices must be made.

How does the vehicle handle? Can you detect any change from what you had been used to before the flat tire occurrence? If driving results are nearly the same then you and your CR-V should be just fine.

Tire condition should have no bearing on damage to the car of any type.
    Enjoy the ride!

2018 Honda CR-V EXL AWD, White Diamond Pearl exterior/Black interior. Final Assembly Point: Alliston, Ontario, Canada - Engine: U.S.A. - Transmission: U.S.A.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob15 View Post
    There should not be any problems with 1 new and 3 old with good tread depth. Certainly given a choice it is always best to replace all 4 tires together. But life happens and sometimes other choices must be made.

How does the vehicle handle? Can you detect any change from what you had been used to before the flat tire occurrence? If driving results are nearly the same then you and your CR-V should be just fine.

Tire condition should have no bearing on damage to the car of any type.
    I haven't seen a big difference in how my CRV is performing on the road at speeds of 60MPH. Is there any factor that I should be particularly looking for? Like vehicle pulls to a certain direction?

Thanks again for replying..Have a great weekend.
    Vj

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Great that you are good to 60 mph. What about normal highways speeds of 70 mph? If all seems normal and as you have been accustomed to before, and steering is not pulling left or right and no noticeable tire vibration into the cabin, then I see no problem. Based on my many years of driving experiences.

Remember that the wind will steer you with it, so a good test is with very little wind. Also all tire pressures should be the same and as per the vehicle manual. My '15 is for 33 lbs for all.
    Enjoy the ride!

2018 Honda CR-V EXL AWD, White Diamond Pearl exterior/Black interior. Final Assembly Point: Alliston, Ontario, Canada - Engine: U.S.A. - Transmission: U.S.A.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob15 View Post
    Great that you are good to 60 mph. What about normal highways speeds of 70 mph? If all seems normal and as you have been accustomed to before, and steering is not pulling left or right and no noticeable tire vibration into the cabin, then I see no problem. Based on my many years of driving experiences.

Remember that the wind will steer you with it, so a good test is with very little wind. Also all tire pressures should be the same and as per the vehicle manual. My '15 is for 33 lbs for all.
    If I see any drifting at 70MPH when I test drive, do you sense a problem then? What are my options if it does so? Or is this drifting slowly going to creep in as I am driving more?
    I have at least 1400 miles of driving to do in the next 4-5 weeks and I was relying on the CRV.
    - replace all four tires?
    - not drive till all tires replaced?
    By the I noticed that Firestone has replaced my tire with a 100H rating as against 99H required by Honda...

Thanks (Received)
    I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, I'd replace the other tire on that axle as well.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    I assume your CRV is AWD? If so, only issue with 1 new and 3 older tires is the extra stress different rolling circumference can put on differentials and the like. But, unlike brands like Subaru and Audi, Honda's AWD system is fairly tolerant of these differences.

I had the same situation with my 2015 AWD and replaced the unrepairable flat with a new tire. The tread difference was about the 2/32 inch you're reporting, which seems to be well within Honda's tolerance. So, I think you can motor on without worry.

Two other thoughts:

Is your flat tire repairable? If so, fix it and put it back in place of the new tire.

If you keep the new Firestone on the car, put it in front and leave it there, rotating the other until wear is equalized (the fronts wear more quickly).

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dans15 View Post
    I assume your CRV is AWD? If so, only issue with 1 new and 3 older tires is the extra stress different rolling circumference can put on differentials and the like. But, unlike brands like Subaru and Audi, Honda's AWD system is fairly tolerant of these differences.

I had the same situation with my 2015 AWD and replaced the unrepairable flat with a new tire. The tread difference was about the 2/32 inch you're reporting, which seems to be well within Honda's tolerance. So, I think you can motor on without worry.

Two other thoughts:

Is your flat tire repairable? If so, fix it and put it back in place of the new tire.

If you keep the new Firestone on the car, put it in front and leave it there, rotating the other until wear is equalized (the fronts wear more quickly).
    Hey thank you for the reply. I am sorry for the delay in my response.
    Yes my CRV is AWD. My flat tire is looking bad so had to dispose it off. With the differences in the tread depths am I going to see TPMS warning appearing again?? I have another 400 mile trip coming up tomorrow...

Have a great weekend
    Vijay

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements