DIYers issue regarding getting car instected each year at NY.
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: DIYers issue regarding getting car instected each year at NY.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

DIYers issue regarding getting car instected each year at NY.

Dear all,

Sorry for the long post, maybe it's no big deal for everyone but I feel I have to ask anyway to see what others member's though.

First I must admitted Honda do manufactured very reliable cars and easy to maintenance.

After owning my first Honda since 2004, I always goes to dealer/local shop for all my repair/maintenance. It costs a bit more but bec it's my only car and I can't without it that's why I think it's fair for me.

Since years ago I start to do the maintenance/repair by myself. ( It's fun and money saving. No wait/appointing needed!! )

My local shop asked my NO to go to their place for annual inspection anymore because they think I'm giving my business to others.

Does any DIYer on this forum has this issue?

Because sooner or later any repair shop will found you only do the state inspection at their facility which not a lot profit.

I wish there are government run inspection stations in NYC like NJ so I don't have this problem each years.

It's like a penalty for a DIYer and well manufactured car owner.( No many things to repair just oil change..... )

Or car DIY in NYC is a bad idea?

Calvin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I agree with your assessment of small inspection shops. I used to go to a shop around the corner from my house, for inspection and the owner would always ask me who does the repair on my cars. When I tell him I do all the repairs, he would tell me to bring it to him, drop it off so he can do it....that it would be easier on me, free up my time for other things. I had to hold my tongue, by not saying to him, "yes, but I would be broke when you take me for all my hard earned money, for easy repairs that I can do on my own time". Needless to say, I stopped going to him after a few times. Now, I only go to another local guy who is more than happy to get my business inspecting all my cars every year. No repair sales speech. I even tip the tech who does the inspection.....faster he finishes, higher his tip. In NYC, time is most definitely everything.

crv|oc Rank: Junior DeadstockNYC's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Report the shop to the state.
    They cant tuen you away because your not a regular lol
    I caught a place charging full inspection price by my old house for the forst two year saefty price
    When i called him out he looked shaken.

Moving to nj was/is alot easier

But f those guys lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman CRnotVtec's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadstockNYC View Post
    Report the shop to the state.
    They cant tuen you away because your not a regular lol
    No, but they can refuse to take you. Most shops would be glad to have your business, finding people you trust to work on your car is tough. Wonder if the shop owner is falling behind and just looking for better paying work. (Which still isn't a good business motto)

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements