Is it worth to trade 2016 CRV for 2017
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth to trade 2016 CRV for 2017

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Is it worth to trade 2016 CRV for 2017

Hi All,

This might sound totally stupid to ask but still I want to ask. I bought CRV 2016 EXL in Aug 2016. Even though before buying I did some research on if there are any know major issues with CRV 2016, I didn't found anything related what is going to come in 2017 model. Somehow maybe I missed that. Now when 2017 is here, I feel everything has changed for good and I feel there is actually NO difference at all between 2016 and 2015 model. This totally pisses me off that I spend all that money to get a old model. Now if I try to find at my dealer if there is any option to trade, they mentioned that I might need to pay approx. 8k more to get a new one as now there are no discounts on new one and considering the depreciation on my 2016.

So wanted to know what does the experts think. Does it make any sense to go for it? Is really 2017 version that good ...mainly from acceleration standpoint and other key factors..

Also one other question I wanted to ask was, right now I am getting around 23.2 as average MPG with ECO mode turned on. I know because here temperature is pretty low (avg in 20-30's), MPG will go down. But is 23.2 acceptable. My driving is very gentle, I don't go above 70 ever and I have mix of city highway driving to be 60-40 ratio.

I just had my first service where dealership did the oil change. There I asked this and they ran the EPA on gov site and mentioned it is avg 22.9 which totally doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance for your advice...

Regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore slybarman's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Financially you will take a beating. I don't see any way around that. So, how bad do you want it?

I am in the same boat. I decided I liked my '16 when I got it 6 months ago, so there is no reason not to like it now.

Maybe I'll be in for the 6th gen.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    I just purchased a '17 EX and absolutely love it. BUT, if I was in your situation I couldn't swallow that kind of a loss to trade in at this point. If you find you don't mind taking a bit of a hit, I would wait at least until the '17s start becoming more available and dealers are willing to negotiate...maybe next Dec when the '18 are soon to be out. There won't be any real changes between the '17 and '18 so you won't miss anything. If you wait for a better price, then my answer would be there are a lot of advantages to the new '17 model, I'm in love with the thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    It's probably equally stupid to trade in a '15, but we did it. I LOVE this '17 CR-V Touring, it's the CR-V I've been waiting for. I LOVE driving it. We had a '12 - liked it a lot better than our Mitsubishi (ech!) Endeavor. When the '15 came out I really really liked it and we've enjoyed having a Touring version, but this one I just love. I like the way it drives, I love all the features, and the new design finally ditches the legacy (like from 2009 I think) look for a modern, LED and chrome encrusted state of the art Honda. The wife doesn't care about digital dashes, automatic wipers, brake holds, adaptive cruise/low speed follow, but I just love them to death. It's making driving fun again.

The power is quite different - we have a steep driveway and the older CVT always needed more revs from the engine halfway through the climb but but this one shows the low end torque (from the turbo) really well and competently climbs the hill without whining.

I can't analyze your mileage, but we did much better with our '15 (which should be essentially the same), usually staying at 28 to 30 on the highway (I'm not a slowpoke, but I try to keep things steady and use the cruise a lot). Having said that, my sense is that this one is a bit lower. It might be due to the newness and my fussing with everything right now, or perhaps I am enjoying the peppier acceleration too much. But this is in line with my F-150 Ecoboost, where it's a smaller V-6 with twin turbos (same much improved low-end torque) and I think the V-8s might do a little better on gas. So I sense that's what's going on here. But, it will probably improve a bit and I am good with it because of everything else.

You'll take a bit of a bath because of the short time you've owned your '16, but don't let them talk you down too much - used CR-Vs are hard to come by, according to our dealer. Even being new super-new on their lot - we were there in front of them, with a good trade and good credit and they had one in stock (black Touring), so we did what we think is an acceptable deal with our somewhat high (for the year) mileage 2015 as a trade-in.

Your decision is probably going to be based on how much you like the new one. If you're hesitant on the finances, I would say - don't test drive the 17! You'll love it. :-)

Thanks (Received)
    Or wait for some more time and go for an all-new 2018 Acura RDX.
    Last edited by dmitri; 01-07-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added detail

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsirk3 View Post
    I just purchased a '17 EX and absolutely love it. BUT, if I was in your situation I couldn't swallow that kind of a loss to trade in at this point. If you find you don't mind taking a bit of a hit, I would wait at least until the '17s start becoming more available and dealers are willing to negotiate...maybe next Dec when the '18 are soon to be out. There won't be any real changes between the '17 and '18 so you won't miss anything. If you wait for a better price, then my answer would be there are a lot of advantages to the new '17 model, I'm in love with the thing.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It kind of make sense. Right now even there is no financing option from Honda which I got (0.9) from Honda for 16. Hopefully that will come back soon.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
    Financially you will take a beating. I don't see any way around that. So, how bad do you want it?

I am in the same boat. I decided I liked my '16 when I got it 6 months ago, so there is no reason not to like it now.

Maybe I'll be in for the 6th gen.
    Yeah I think you are right. Just i wish i would have done some more research earlier.

LDB
    Thanks (Received)
    I bought a 2016 EX on December 31. I got a good deal on it plus 0.9% financing. I could have gotten a 2017 EX for about $4,000 more after no discounts and higher financing. It isn't worth it to me. I'm working on my first tank of fuel and according to the optomismeter on the dash I'm at 26.3 and that's 100% city driving and mostly short trips of 1 to 3 miles. I wouldn't think once about losing $8k to go to a 2017. I'd focus on all the many great things about this one and be very happy and very satisfied to have such a good vehicle.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    I bought a 2016 EX on December 31. I got a good deal on it plus 0.9% financing. I could have gotten a 2017 EX for about $4,000 more after no discounts and higher financing. It isn't worth it to me. I'm working on my first tank of fuel and according to the optomismeter on the dash I'm at 26.3 and that's 100% city driving and mostly short trips of 1 to 3 miles. I wouldn't think once about losing $8k to go to a 2017. I'd focus on all the many great things about this one and be very happy and very satisfied to have such a good vehicle.
    If you don't mind me asking where do you...I am not sure then I am getting that low of mileage....and what deal you got...I got it for 30k exl on road ..I did traded 09 Honda Accord lx with 67k for 8500 and .9%

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashu View Post
    If you don't mind me asking where do you...I am not sure then I am getting that low of mileage....and what deal you got...I got it for 30k exl on road ..I did traded 09 Honda Accord lx with 67k for 8500 and .9%
    I meant where do you live....

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast