Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure fuel pump drive

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Keithdev 
#1 ·
Hi All

Thanks for admitting me!

I have a 2007 2.2CDTI CRV and have just had the most bizarre fault and wondered if it’s a know one.

A couple of days ago the car stopped without warning and gave a flashing glow plug heater light. After a visit by the recovery man he was unable to get fuel pressure at the Royal and subsequently the car was taken to my local mechanic

It was found that the drive from cams was not turning the cog for the high pressure fuel pump and upon investigation further it’s was found that the nut holding the cog connected to the fuel pump drive had come loose inside the engine.

The mechanic has managed to put the nut back on without removing the cams/engine and it immediately runs well again.

Is this a known fault? Is it likely to come loose again soon?

Bemused!

Al

See less See more
#4 ·
BritRob again.
Previously I totally took apart this assembly and there is no pin or keyway providing any sort of drive to the shaft.
This 17mm nut "pinches" the gear on to the shaft only.
I asked Honda if there is a torque setting ? No information at all from them.
I had the assy out of the car, clamped in a vice(carefully) and tightened this to 30 ft/lb torque.
It came undone after 5 miles of driving.
Taking it all apart again and this time tightening to 60 ft/lb.
I will post again if it comes undone

#5 ·
BritRob again
When investigating this assy again. The gear on the end of the Exhaust camshaft drives the Fuel Pump Driveshaft. This exhaust camshaft gear is also just pinched on to the camshaft on my Mk2. There is no keyway. In my "Haynes manual" there is a Torque setting of 87 ft/lbs for the bolt that "pinches" the gear on to the camshaft.
I don't know where that info came from because Honda aren't telling me that torque either. So I am assuming that the Torque setting is real. It may not be.
So I would expect this bolt to be tighter than the nut on the Fuel Pump driveshaft or at least equal. So if and when the fuel pump seizes one of these will come undone as a sort of mechanical fuse. So I have torqued the camshaft gear retaining bolt to 90 ft/lb and the Fuel Pump Driveshaft nut to 70 ft/lb. 30 miles driven, engine revved hard to 4000 rpm along the way, and it's working and sounding good. If anyone finds out more info please post it.

#6 ·
Hi Britrob
I have just the same thing happen to mind on Saturday not being a mechanic how long does it take a garage to do this work? the garage in question has spent 3 hrs stripping out the cam but still has not got to the cam yet ? . looking at your post seems that you might not need to remove half the engine to do this repair . I live in hope to a quick resultant any help as cost are rising

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.