Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda crv est- uncontrable reving and smoking no won't start

5K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  paulwatson1947 
#1 ·
I was driving home and the car started reving max on its own and smoking like crazy got towed to a safe place and now has has pgm-fi warning light on the dash anyone know what could be wrong I was thinking turbo before I saw the pgm-fi code? Thanks in advance

#4 ·
I guess Honda petrol CRVs got their first turbos in 2017, which I didn't know, so I would hope his CRV is still covered under warrant.
If it is a diesel, things may be different.
Buffalo4
PS: Putting in the yr, model, drive, mileage etc is still good advice for all posters, even if it is only in their Profiles., just saying.
PPS: What yr did Honda start using turbos in their diesels?

#5 ·
the model is crv 2.2 i dtec engine 2010 reg i was driving home and the car started reving max on its own and smoking like crazy got towed to a safe place and now has has pgm-fi warning light on the dash anyone know what could be wrong I was thinking turbo before I saw the pgm-fi code? Thanks in advance
hi it's a 2010 crv 2.2 i dtec diesel model

#9 ·
Sounds to me like the turbo's seals failed (very rare), and the engine rain on its oil.
What color was the smoke? How did you get it to stop?

#10 ·
Yeah thats what i think the smoke was white I think but no 100% as was a bit shaken up at the time as i had the kids in the car with me i stalled the car too stop it but i was doing 50mph at the time so had to slow right down I imagine it was reving high like this for 20-30 seconds

#11 ·
Yup that's classic turbo seal failure for a diesel. Good job stalling it. Not everyone saves the engine that way.
Don't drive it. It's going to need a new or remanufactured turbo. Check oil level before you tow it away.

#13 ·
I'm not too up on electronic fuel injection on the newer diesels. I would agree that it sounds like a turbo seal. But given the fact that it seems that the sump is overfilled now, I think I would check the injectors. One of them may have stuck open and started pumping fuel. Just a thought.

#18 ·
So update guys the car blew 2 fuel injector tips clean off and put loads of diesel in the engine the garage seem very hopefull with new ones and a good clean out all will be fine I'll know more middle of next week and will post then thanks for all your comments and help much appreciated

#20 ·
Hi guys another update so the 2 injectors that seemed ok were sent of too be tested and came back as contaminated with petrol so basically whoever had it before I purchased has driven the car with petrol this causes the tip to go brittle and break which is whats happened to me! I'm well pissed off as for 4 new injectors oil filter labour etc it's costing me £1700 to repair! So basically it's the an issue or fault with the car it was someone's stupidity it the past thanks for all your help much appreciated

#23 ·
Hi,
My car has exactly the same symptoms, had the diesel checked, and was found to be heavily contaminated, also large bug infestation. So drained all the fuel, and treated new diesel with bug treatment still the same.
My only fault code is P16D3 glow plug number 4 open circuit, I am thinking that 2 injectors have gone down, will be checking as soon as restrictions are listed, my vehicle Honda CR-v 2.2 Idtec diesel 2011 manual.

Kind Regards

Peter

#24 ·
Hardly supprising about the petrol put in a diesel,lots of people have very little idea of what goes on under the
bonnet and that is the way that most manufactures want to keep it.The engine bay is so crammed and designed
for people with small hands.I have always been interested in cars,but it took 2 years to realise that my crv 2.2 ctdi
had a turbo and am yet to see a picture of it and it's position in the engine bay.I know where it should be but I still
can't see it.I will have to use a wire endoscope to get some pictures of it in position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.