Doesn't Start When Engine is Hot
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't Start When Engine is Hot

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Doesn't Start When Engine is Hot

Hi
    I have 2006 CR-V ctdi 2.2

The car starts fine when cold.
    When car is warm and I re-start engine the glow plug light doesn't come on and the car doesn't start. I need to wait for like 10 seconds and keep trying until it starts up again. Now it weird because the car starts up pefectly when the glow plug light eventually does come on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Interesting. I have exact same model and it has just started doing this. Sounds like it definitely is not the glow plugs so more likely glow plug relay or intelligence associated with that. Something is needing to cool down most probably. I need to get hold of the schematic.

Thanks (Received)
    When a diesel is hot, it shouldn't need to cycle the glow plugs.
    So moving on.
    Fuel pressure is worth establishing. A worn pump gets weaker when hot. When was the fuel filter replaced?
    Buy a bottle of diesel injector cleaner and add it to your next tank.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Service history would help so that the fuel filter and all other filters can be eliminated from the suspect list. I would also check the car electrics to ensure the alternator is charging the battery. If the car has been standing, say overnight, then if its a good battery it might be storing a good enough burst of energy to get the engine started. If the car is then taken for a run that is just long enough for the engine to warm up but not enough to flatten the battery because of a lower than normal charging rate and you then stop the car for a short time and go to restart it could be what is causing this problem. Best to cover all possible causes before handing out cash for ideas that don't fix it.

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for the input. It's the wife's car. After a delicate detailed probing of facts (!), the actual events have been called into question. I, therefore, wait for it to happen to her again. Apparently, it has only happened twice. The glow plug indicator light is what I am not sure about. What definitely happened, though, was the inability for the engine to immediately restart after a short time period (about 1min) after a reasonable journey (about 30mins). She seems to think it did turn over when she tried to restart. Will post new info when it happens again. Thanks again.

Fuel filter changed only 6000 miles back, service is up to date as per Honda. No sign of battery or charging problem - car starts immediately (after glow plug lamp gone out) in recent sub-zero (celsius) temperatures of a morning. It's been a brilliant car but 12yrs old now. Sad when you think you won't get something that can replace it without increased maintenance charges down the line due to unnecessary increases in complexity (is it really so hard to use a key, for example; I'd much rather use a key and not get my car stolen).

Thanks (Received)
    Ok, experienced this first hand today. 30min journey, parked. 1min later tried to restart engine. Engine turned over fine but did not start. Glowplug lamp had not come on. Repeated a few times with same. 20mins later still the same; glowplug lamp still not lighting. Opened bonnet with aim of free air cooling down engine. 5mins later tried again, glowplug light came on for about half a second, engine started perfectly straight away after glowplug lamp went out. 30mins drive home. Turned off engine. Immediately tried to restart, glowplug lamp came on for a fraction of a second, engine started perfectly. Turned off and waited a few seconds. Tried again. Perfect again, glowplug lamp on for a fraction of a second, engine started perfectly.

I know what you are saying about this likely to be a combustion starvation problem but it could well be that this engine always needs a small kick from the glowplugs to start even when warm and that is no longer happening sometimes when the engine is warm for some reason. Battery seems fine. Fuel filter recently changed. No problems at all starting from cold. Feasibly, it might not be intermittent as I heard the fan come on after journey home while parking which may have caused the cooling needed just as before when I opened the bonnet, which is why I did not have the problem immediately after the journey home.

Adding all this mostly for recording the fault purposes. Will book in to Honda garage.

Thanks (Received)
    I have the exact same issue. I know the glow plugs are ok as when the light does come on the engine starts perfectly.
    Now I have replaced the glow plug relay today (it gave me a check engine light) - I will let you know if that works after a few start ups, currently starts ok but only tested it cold (starts 100% of the time when cold).

I have found NOTHING on internet about this issue only lots of glow plug flashing/limp mode issues.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    When a diesel is hot, it shouldn't need to cycle the glow plugs.
    So moving on.
    Fuel pressure is worth establishing. A worn pump gets weaker when hot. When was the fuel filter replaced?
    Buy a bottle of diesel injector cleaner and add it to your next tank.
    The vehicle is the only diesel I had which needs the glow plug light to switch on the dash before it starts - no matter how warm the engine is.
    It could be the fuel pressure. The fuel filter was replaced in the last 6 months and I have drained a small amount of water out of it (the manual elludes to the fact the glow plugs will not operate if water in system).
    I originally thought it could be a bad solder inside the glow plug relay and the heat expands it idk.

Thanks (Received)
    It could be a bad battery because when I replaced glow plug relay I got a check engine light (as I had to disconnect the negative terminal). The battery is new as when I brought it the battery was old and probably destroyed the electronics in the car.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydb View Post
    Interesting. I have exact same model and it has just started doing this. Sounds like it definitely is not the glow plugs so more likely glow plug relay or intelligence associated with that. Something is needing to cool down most probably. I need to get hold of the schematic.
    I replyed to you and forgot to quote (if that helps) message above this......

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast