Not open for further replies.

Stiff in 2nd Gear

Tags
2nd gear stiff
6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  paulwatson1947 
#1 ·
Hi

I have 2006 CR-V ctdi 2.2

When I select 2nd gear it sometimes stiff and gets better when warmed up. Sometimes I feel a jolt during the change up to 2nd gear - no problems switching down to 2nd.

Is there a way of lubricating the shifter socket joint without having to tear down the whole centre console to get at it??

#2 ·
If your manual transmission is similar to our North American ones, you should be replacing the manual transmission fluid every 30K miles. If you have overlooked this action, you will be surprised at how well the transmission shifts with fresh fluid.

Folks in the USA recommend Honda OEM MTF or General Motors Manual Transmission Fluid. (Don't know if the latter is available though Vauxhall sources near you?)

If you really think its a binding issue with the shifter linkage, first try spraying a penetrating oil up into the shifter area from underneath. I know that @fishycomics was an advocate of this process. And, I had an '81 Civic that benefited from lubricating the linkages.

Drive the car onto ramps or support it safely with stands!

#4 ·
I will agree with what has been said,mine did the same,mine 09 with 100k.if it's the same layout as mine,you can get to the
cables in the engine near the air box,I sprayed with WD40 and then WD with lythium grease.this inproved it a bit,the other end you need those plastic pry tool to lever out the gear stick surround.As for the gear box filler I had to remove the airbox
and battery box to get at the filler,I don't think it had been off before as it needed a lot of force to shift.you need 3 bottles
of Honda fluid which you can get on ebay.The drain plug and level plug were directly behinthe front bumper and the middle
plastic cover and some plastic clips on the passenger side,there is some sort of plastic filter behind passenger wheel,it looked a bit flimsy and was told it costs £30 decided against.look on 'you tube' for what to do as they seem to change things after 3 years to keep there female mechanic's on there toes and small hands are better with less room round engine.Good luck.

#6 ·
Just seen Ed China repair a Boxer Porsche 6 pot by renewing the gear oil and filter in the gearbox,still don't know
if a bloke who had left the car for 4 years would not have made more effort to find out what was wrong than let
Mike Brewer buy it for a grand.
I always wished Edd{sic] China worked for me, as he never accounted for his labour! :giggle:

Since Edd's departure, Wheeler Dealers DOES include the man-hours required to do their repairs.

#7 ·
Always thought that Edd was the best part of Wheeler Dealers. Came across as a down-to-earth, extremely knowledgable individual. Watching him take the time to analyze and correct problems was what drew me to the show in the first place. [Of course I know that there are technical advisors behind the scenes.]

I understand that the reason he left was that the producers did not want to spend as much air time on Edd making the corrections. Ant, while good at what he does, and with the new format, just doesn't cut it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.