Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhaust smell in cabin

32K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  TheDarkKnight 
#1 ·
When I start my 2010 Diesel CRV I smell exhaust gas in the car or when the car is idling in traffic. There are no apparent leaks around the engine but a strong smell exists in the engine bay. I have replaced the cabin filter and examined the engine air filter again having replaced it and all is well. The smell diminishes when I switch off the cabin fan.
There is one thing I noticed, there is a misting of oil in the inlet to the turbo air inlet and extending up towards the air filter box but the filter is clean and dry. But as these things are separate from the cabin air flow I can’t see a connection. Any ideas?
Thank you
Colin McCullagh
Ireland

#3 ·
Hi!
Had the same problem with my 2011 ES-T. Took it to the dealer who did a diagnostic check for £60. The outcome was that the EGR coolant pipe had cracked and that it would cost £409 to fix.No mention was made of the TSB or extended warranty.

I then mentioned that this was a known issue and that there was an extended warranty. ( Info that I had gained by reading this site) The isue was then passed to the service manager who said he would ask Honda UK who said YES to a free repair including labour!

So if you have this problem make sure your dealer asks Honda. If you don't ask they you won't get.

Cheers,

Accronman

#7 ·
I detected the diesel fumes on my 2011 CRV immediately after a 12 month service... As the fuel filter was changed I thought it maybe spillage onto the exhaust pipe that I was smelling but it didnt go away. It was particularly noticeable when stationary and the engine was idling.. A re-visit to the Dealer quickly confirmed that the EGR pipe was cracked and I was wondering if the "damage" could be attributed to accidental work whilst the service was being performed, or coincidence.. I have no idea of the location of the pipe and whether it is at all likely ... The good news is that I've been offered the pipe replacement ( Honda pays ) but the labour ( Dealer says ) is my responsibility ( £140+) .. Has anyone unearthed a TSB , and is it worth pursuing Honda or the Dealer for a better solution?

#12 ·
Hi there,so I contacted Honda Uk and said it should have been a recall...they disagreed but accepted liabit by default as agreed to cover parts but not labour..I then pleaded with dealership and got a third off labour..still it impressed but for my kids health had no choice to get done... wouldn't think Honda would shaft their loyal customer base but hey, greed rules . Also found out it's likely we will get another airbag recall as they've cocked that up too along with other brands ... clearly a substandard part coming back to haunt them. I'll never quite trust .yhonda or dealership again ??

#17 ·
I have a 11 plate Crv and have had it inspected by the Honda main dealership as instructed by Honda UK, the inspection cost me £114 and now have been told that the egr cracked pipe is wear and tear. They will not help with this obvious H&S fault. Car has done 59000 miles.
Any suggestions where I go from here?

#22 ·
Dealer told Honda UK that it is wear and tear. See part of email below.

“Since receiving your case, we have been in contact with John Banks, Ipswich. From speaking with the Service Team at the dealership, they provided us more detail on the issue you have been experiencing. From understanding this, we looked into the matter further and we can confirm that the issue with the EGR pipe is caused by wear and tear, therefore, this is not considered to be a manufacturing defect”

#24 ·
I have just joined this forum.My 2011 crv dtec auto has started to blow in exhaust fumes when heater fan in on.I did not know the crv had this problem with the EGR pipe.I’m very mechanical minded so don’t mind having a go at replacement.Just don’t know what’s involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.