2004 CRV engine died while driving,no warning, no steering no brakes!
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 2004 CRV engine died while driving,no warning, no steering no brakes!

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2004 CRV engine died while driving,no warning, no steering no brakes!

I have a well maintained 2004 CRV. Few days ago on local road doing 20-25 mph with the AC running, the car just stopped. It had been parked about an hour in the sun/hot. Was driving about 3-5 minutes, when the car just stopped. I was on level road and no traffic thank goodness. The AC/fan went off too. I had no power steering or brakes. No dash lights, no warning lights. A complete engine and electrical failure. It was as if I turned the car off while driving. I put the car in park and restarted the engine. It started fine and continued home. I did not have my hands anywhere near the keys and did not 'hit' the key with my knee. I'm 100% sure I didn't 'TURN OFF' the car while driving. The mechanic says he cannot find anything wrong with anything that would have caused this. He has run all the diagnostics and the car didn't show any error codes. It's assumed it's a bad ignition system. But who knows. I will never drive this car again. It's too dangerous to lose steering and brakes and engine power. If I had been driving fast in traffic....ugh. I will probably have him replace the ignition device since that's all he can think might be wrong. Has anyone had any experience with this type of engine stopping while driving with a complete electrical failure too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    This happens occasionally in my 2004 AWD crv so you are not alone! Do you have a manual transmission? The only thing that I can think of that is the same each time the engine shuts off is that I am slowing down (less than 30 mph) and have the clutch engaged (or just released the clutch). So for example the last time it occurred I was slowing down to approach an intersection, had engaged the clutch to downshift and the engine shut off.

I have no explanation but sounds like others may be experiencing this.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    ^^^ Both experiences sound as if a bad connection in the primary power feed is at fault.

I'd be verifying and cleaning battery starter connections and grounds.

I'd also look at the motor mounts, if worn mounts allow the drivetrain to 'rock' excessively, is could be loosening the cables. (14 year old rubber mounts always need to be inspected periodically.)
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for your input. I got rid of the car and bought a new 2018 CRV. I like the new one but really miss my old car. NOw have to worry about parking lot door dings, etc. Already hit a deer and broke the plastic housing around the front running lights.

Thanks (Received)
    I would have your ignition switch checked out

Thanks (Received)
    This exact thing happened for me. While slowing down and pushing the clutch in my car would just die. All lights would come on and it would start right back up. It would do it randomly and you couldn't make it do it.
    My knock sensor was bad. We replaced it, and let the computer reset. Once it reset, it never happened again. And it is very easy to replace.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements