2003 CR-V getting bad gas mileage
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 CR-V getting bad gas mileage

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2003 CR-V getting bad gas mileage

I recently purchased a 2003 CRV EX with 165K (AWD, Automatic) and have been getting it road ready for my daughter, which has been more of headache than I thought. I had to replace the Catalytic Converter and tires to get to pass inspection and that was $$$$. It is mostly ready now, although I still have a P1457 evap system code that I have yet to resolve.

One of the things I am noticing is that it seems to be using a lot of gas. I recently filled it and after only 100 miles it is down to a half tank. It was all around the town driving, but think it is supposed to get better economy that. I am concerned that there is still something not right with this engine. I was wondering if replacing the Cat can effect mileage, -whether there is a learning cycle or something. OR is the P1457 is killing my mileage.

I ran a bottle of Techron through the gas and changed the air filter, but have not done the spark plugs. (Honestly after the repairing Cat my budget is a bit blown out.)I did notice that one of the rear bolts that is embedded into the aircleaner housing is missing and the airbox is not able to be tighted down in that area leaving a bit of gap. Not sure if that is a problem or not, probably not since people use those exposed cone filers all the time. Anyhow it would be great if someone could give some advice or just point me in the right direction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Since the P1457 code deals with the fuel system I'd get that fixed first.

Fill the tank, write down the odometer reading, then do your driving around town.
    Fill the tank again, write down the new odometer reading, then calculate the MPGs based on actual miles driven and actual fuel used.

Thanks (Received)
    P1457 is an evap leak code. That will definitely affect fuel mileage. It can be a PITA to find evap leaks, so if you aren’t familiar with it, I would take it to a shop.
    -Brent

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
    2012 Honda Civic Si
    2006 Honda CR-V EX 6 Speed Manual 4WD
    2000 Honda CR-V EX 4 Speed Automatic 4WD

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I was just going to change out the evap vent solenoid in hope that it would correct the code. However after crawling under, I see that it is not very accessible on the AWD model because the diff is in the way, so I’ll leave repair to the shop. The fuel economy is not as bad as I had thought after tipping off the tank it only took 5.4 gallons which calculated to 18 miles per gallon. I am going to change out the plugs today since I don’t know when they were done last.

Thanks (Received)
    I have the same car..im also throwing a 1166 & p0134..i know they are for smog and the one is a bank1 sensor..but I don't have e to worry about a moving my car cause its reg's is Or. I didn't want to have it in Cali any more so i changed up..is it possible to nix all that stuff and run with out it..will it effect my performance and power? It's makes great power now that I took out that huge box in my engine comparment..lol..jist asking some general questions..kinda curious on the smog thing though..help me out ?? Thanks!!

Thanks (Received)
    there is only one huge box under the hood and that's the air box. And by removing it it doesnt make better power, its LESS. Proven on dyno tests you loose power removing the airbox.

The other codes NO YOU CANNOT REMOVE. Seriously remove the only upstream 02 sensor????? Wont run without it.

PQY THE $60 FOR THE DENSO AIR FUEL SENSOR AND TAKE THE 10 MINUTES TO REPLACE IT.

Cant just randomly remove stuff because you dont want to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    Sean486 - 18mpg still seems a little lower than it should be. Next time you park it after a drive, check your brakes and see if any of them are hot (Be careful not to burn yourself!). If any are, they may be dragging, which would certainly affect fuel mileage. It's a common maintenance issue on these cars. The fix is to clean them up and properly re-lube the sliding pins. Left un-fixed (Hey, I use that word all the time!), they can eventually even cause a fire or cause a brake to lock down due to heat expansion. Definitely not good, but easy to solve. Low tire pressure is another possible issue, as is alignment, though it would have to be pretty far out of whack to have that much effect. I would think you should be getting 25mpg or so city, or at least way closer to that than 18, with everything right. New fluid in the trans and diffs might help too. It would really help if you had a maintenance history to go by.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    Sean486 - 18mpg still seems a little lower than it should be. Next time you park it after a drive, check your brakes and see if any of them are hot (Be careful not to burn yourself!). If any are, they may be dragging, which would certainly affect fuel mileage. It's a common maintenance issue on these cars. The fix is to clean them up and properly re-lube the sliding pins. Left un-fixed (Hey, I use that word all the time!), they can eventually even cause a fire or cause a brake to lock down due to heat expansion. Definitely not good, but easy to solve. Low tire pressure is another possible issue, as is alignment, though it would have to be pretty far out of whack to have that much effect. I would think you should be getting 25mpg or so city, or at least way closer to that than 18, with everything right. New fluid in the trans and diffs might help too. It would really help if you had a maintenance history to go by.
    I have the exact same one, that's what I get in town since the evap issue started. These dont get much better for in town unless you drive like old miss daisy taking 3 blocks to get to 20mph. 25 or so is highway mileage for these. Gen2 is pre-soccer mom urban commuting uselessness. So fuel economy is not great.

And my brakes are perfect, everything except my evap code is perfect with mine (being an auto tech, I went through it top to bottom when I bought it) but 18-19 in town is best it's gotten since it started having evap problems which I havent had a chance to finish chasing down.

Thanks (Received)
    Wow, I didn't realize there should be that much difference between a Gen2 and a Gen3. My '07 is getting 23 city, and that's with oversize tires on it. It doesn't have any issues otherwise. If what you're saying is so, I'm glad I didn't get the '06 AWD MT.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    2007 gets a little better mileage because of transmission and different version of the 2.4L. A gen2 has better low end power.

But like I said it's also a lot of how your drive. Even on a good day it's hard for me to break 21mpg in town because of constant stop lights and signs

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast