Gen. 1 MPG. What's Yours?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen. 1 MPG. What's Yours?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Gen. 1 MPG. What's Yours?

I have a '98 V with 207,000 miles. It has the automatic tranny. I'm getting around 20 MPG overall. My best tank was around 25 MPG on a long trip. I bought it just shy of a year ago. The woman I bought it from had a major tune done to it just prior to me buying it. Timing belt and water pump were replaced. New plugs, plug wires, complete new distributor, all new belts, valve adjustment, new tranny fluid, fresh 10W- 30W Mobil full synthetic and new oil filter, new K&N air filter, etc., etc. It runs like new.

I'm a little disappointed as 20 MPH doesn't seem too good. I have the stock Honda roof rack on and I realize that may affect the mileage a tiny bit. My wife also has a '98, (an automatic), that just turned over 200,000 miles. She does not have the roof rack. She gets great mileage around 25-30 overall. Once on a cross country trip in her V, I checked the mileage on each tank of gas and the lowest MPG was 29 and one tank was 35! This averaging 75-80 MPH with the AC on!

I'm just wondering what MPG you Gen. 1 owners get in yours? And please be truthful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Bought my 97 rtawd about a month ago with 194k miles. Did basic maintenence right away oil, plugs , air filter , Lucas fuel treatment. First tank I got 20.5mpg , second tank I got around 21.5 mpg. Now I put a short ram intake last Saturday and I'm halfway thru my 3rd fill up since I bought it, seems better so far. I'll update you when I fill up next time how much this sri improved my mpg or not

Thanks (Received)
    ^^ update from my last fill up with my sri I got exactly 23mpg. This is 80% ac use with everyday traffic of about am hour.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Not bad Hajile.

Thanks (Received)
    I am getting about the same as you maybe a little less with 80% ac use and 50/50 traffic highway use in my 97 CR-V

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for that ccjohncc. That coincides with my mileage. I wonder why my wife's CR-V gets so much better mileage than ours? I know different vehicles from the same year can differ in gas mileage but her's is astonishing! Oh well, isn't she the lucky one?

Thanks (Received)
    My '97 gets 22-23 MPG in everyday driving. I'd gotten over 27MPG on a trip I took to Maine back in 2014--doing mainly 65-70 MPH, all freeway driving, cruise on, moderately hilly in places (this was I-86/I-88 through New York), no A/C (temps were in the 60s during that week in August), and keep in mind at that point it probably had at least 260k miles on it. I routinely get about 24-25MPG if driving primarily freeways. Worst I'll ever get is around 21 MPG in the winter, when I have to run the car to defrost it before driving. Seeing that the EPA rating at the time was 22/25, I'm right where I should be.

I also found that running the tires at 30-32 psi made a big difference--the sticker in the door jamb for the '97 says 26 psi. Yet after increasing it to 30-32 psi, I found the tires are now wearing evenly, in addition to improving the gas mileage.

And for whatever odd reason, I've found that all the recent Hondas I've owned have all gotten better mileage the older they get (especially over 100k).

The '09 got just over 29 MPG on my first tankful, mostly 2-lane roads and freeways. City driving, I'm between 24-25. I've only had 'er three weeks now, so I'll see how it does long-term.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    My son-in-law drives 15 miles to work on a fairly level 4 lane road with 3 or 4 redlights and averages around 24 MPG with his 2000 with 190,000 miles on it. That is about 4 MPG less than I would get on the same road with my 16.

Thanks (Received)
    My '99 with all the same work just done like yours OP gets about 22-22 which bothers me. Checked plugs today and they were perfect, air filter is brand new. I read in the receipts of recent work done that it got a new cat and o2 sensor. I shift right about 3k rpms give or take a couple hundred in either direction and barely ever put the throttle down (maybe once per tank).

I do have 215/75/15 General Grabber AT2's but those should make a huge difference should they? I will try them at 30-32 psi on my next tank.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    I get about 22 - 25. I haven't calculated in a while. I think once on a vacation I got just over 30 to the first gas station. Basically if you go faster then about 45-55 mph you are wasting gas.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast