Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,005 Posts
you could, but the rear diff will still be in place and may cause problems
Chris, Why do you say that?

Many owners have removed their driveshaft due to bad u-joints (and the $$$ cost to replace). That makes the V a 2wd. Some have driven around for months or years that way. They only have to carry the weight of a few extra pounds in the rear.

I have never heard of anyone replacing a Gen1 trans with a Civic part, so I can't speculate on that part of the query.

·
Registered
244 Posts
00916crv,

My advice is find someone who has done this very same thing, removed the AWD transaxle and replaced it with the 2WD transaxle (assuming you can) and talk extensively with them. My thoughts, and these are not by knowing but by speculation, the 2WD and 4WD cases are most likely not the same, that being said (and if true) the support points when in the vehicle would be different. That being said you would need to see how transaxle support is accomplished in a 2WD vehicle and then a 4WD vehicle. If for example the support for the transaxle is welded into the sub-frame than this whole issue becomes much greater of an issue, if it is via bolt on members then you would be by this hurdle. You would need to check the exhaust system, that might be effected by 2WD VS 4WD, also all wire harnesses and any other items that run near the transaxle or are attached to it for support. Now in laying some of the possible issues out I'd ask why do this? If you transaxle is blown I'd just replace it with a used unit. But anyway I have tried to list the issues that come to my mind I'm sure there are many more. Lots of luck, Russ.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It has almost 300k and the transmission is bad, i am willing to give up the awd. Can I replace it with a 2wd automatic from a 2wdcrv or integra?
Wow, my 2002 is nearing 150,000 miles and I was worried. :)

Don

·
Registered
686 Posts
00916crv,

My advice is find someone who has done this very same thing, removed the AWD transaxle and replaced it with the 2WD transaxle (assuming you can) and talk extensively with them. My thoughts, and these are not by knowing but by speculation, the 2WD and 4WD cases are most likely not the same, that being said (and if true) the support points when in the vehicle would be different. That being said you would need to see how transaxle support is accomplished in a 2WD vehicle and then a 4WD vehicle. If for example the support for the transaxle is welded into the sub-frame than this whole issue becomes much greater of an issue, if it is via bolt on members then you would be by this hurdle. You would need to check the exhaust system, that might be effected by 2WD VS 4WD, also all wire harnesses and any other items that run near the transaxle or are attached to it for support. Now in laying some of the possible issues out I'd ask why do this? If you transaxle is blown I'd just replace it with a used unit. But anyway I have tried to list the issues that come to my mind I'm sure there are many more. Lots of luck, Russ.
Typically the chassis between all models is almost the same including mounting points to reduce manufacturing costs. It's possible a couple of brackets are missing, but probably nothing that's welded on, only parts that would be bolted to the frame.

Honda probably assembles all trims and AWD & 2WD models on the same line without interruption. So the components could be described as modular. It's just a matter of installing the correct mounting brackets and wiring harnesses with the different transaxle.

But I agree, the conversion could be tricky. Yu'd have to compare the bill of materials (parts lists) between a 2WD and 4WD and see what components are different. Then examine the chassi in detial.

It would be better to just repalce the tranmsission with a used or rebuilt unit and move on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you can use a 2wd crv transmission, no you can not use integra, The cost on a first gen crv transmission is about the same between 2wd and awd and the 2wd was rare, I would not recommend it. Resale value will be lower and you will get the same savings on mpg as if you removed the main drive shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.