Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given a used 02 LX 4x2 with just 40K miles and have been told that the AC compressor has a penchant for failure and that the factory supplied unit was manufactured by Kehin, the system is still functional, for how much longer is anyone's guess.
Can anybody explain exactly what causing the high rate of failure? Is it from inferior design? Stray alien microwaves? Mexico's refusal to fund the "wall"?
For what it is worth I worked at a Honda dealership as a mechanic for 13 years and remember a compressor recall for 82-83 Accord's equipped with Keihin units, all of them self-destructed internally.
Note that I describe my job title as a mechanic and not a "technician", as is fashionable of late, yes I still know how to replace ignition points and condensers...lol.
You would think Honda would have learned from their mistakes.
:jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Honda can't be blamed for defects of the brands they contract to make the components for them.

As for failure, they implode usually as well. Not any directly known cause but based on their location and lack of air flow heat is going to be a big one. But it's really not much worse than any other manufacturer. See the same issue on mid-late 2000s GM vehicles (maybe manufactured by same company).

Being the age of yours being close to mine, if it was going to implode it may have done it already and been replaced. I wouldn't concern myself with it too much. Seeing as you have been a mechanic yourself (I have been for almost 20 yes, still am) you know if it starts making noise replace it right away before it implodes fully.

My V is just shy of 230K (will break 230 by week's end) and AC still works great as of last check.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
2,201 Posts
I suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact that these relatively tiny systems only contain about 1.8 pounds of Freon when full, so over time it doesn't have to leak down by very much before it begins to stress the compressor. I'd say keeping a good eye on the charge and keeping it full will go a long way towards longevity, and I'd bet that that is the reason for many of the failures. Which is not to say they didn't also have a run of bad parts. When I first got my '07 back in the fall, it was still cooling but not great, so I had it checked, and it was half empty, which means it had less than a pound of gas in it. My mechanic evacuated it, pulled it down, ran a leak check, then recharged. It'll freeze me out now. It had never been done before, so not bad for a system left untouched for eleven years.

Oh, yeah: Welcome to the forum!!! Mahalo!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response sir, are you aware that Honda own's almost half of Keihin?
Google it

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Ya, like other car companies, they have ownership stakes in other manufacturers. Still a separate entity is all I'm explaining. IMO we can't blame brands for a failing that wasn't something they produced themselves. Honda as of late has a lot of problems of there own lol.

Like I said, I wouldn't sweat it much. Just expect that at the age like most vehicles, there's a chance it can fail.

Oh, didn't see you were a new member as well, welcome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts