Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 02 CRV is acting up and sounds like it will need a new motor. If it does what can I put in place of the K24a1 to make more power? A K24a2 was suggested because they make 209fwhp over the a1 162fwhp but I'm not sure if there are any tuning solutions. If I could do an a2 swap with header, 3" exhaust, CAI, intake manifold, ported throttle body, and with an optimized tune providing software exist 220-240fwhp shouldn't be too difficult. Right? Is this even feasible instead of tossing in another a1 and continuing to live with the lack of power?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the motor didn"t end up spinning a main bearing and is fine what options are there that maintain all the AC, cruise control, and etc? I don't expect a race CRV just one with more power like it should have come with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Modifying a K series engine can be quite expensive. If you put an a2 in you would have to replace the electronics w an Acura one as mostthe electronics are not shared between the two cars. My advice would be to slap a good used a1 back in there; the car is no slug as it is unless it is filled with stuff all the time. You should try basic maintenece like spark plugs, synthetic oil, clean the injectors and the fuel system etc; those three things have gone a long way in restoring my '04 to like-new.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I don't expect a race CRV just one with more power like it should have come with.
Agreed there, the CR-V has always been underpowered. Honda used 4-cylinder engines in a heavy vehicle that should have had a V6, likely due to the CR-V's chassis based on the Civic platform. I have a 2009 with the K24 which has similar output to the 2nd gen K24 engine, but over mountain passes out in Colorado and elsewhere, I can barely keep up with traffic at highway speeds. (If I slow down, there is no way I can ever get back to my original speed--I can only just about maintain speed.)

The engine in our first-gen TSX does have more horsepower and a higher redline (7,000 RPM) but as stated above, the engine and transmission are both controlled by the ECU in the TSX, so it would take an unusual amount of work to try to get it to talk to what is already in the CR-V (in terms of circuitry and sensors). Impossible? No. But a 2002 CR-V is an 18 year old vehicle nearing its end of life, and you have to consider how much effort and expense is worth undertaking. The body, chassis and suspension would have to be pristine or fully restored to make it worth putting a lot of money into adapting another car's engine into it, or adding performance mods like intakes, headers, chip tuning, etc..
I'm not even certain what the differences are between the TSX and CR-V engines to suggest a swap of the engines, or even just a swap of components from a TSX engine to the CR-V. Does it come mostly from intake and exhaust treatment? Is it a limitation in the CR-V's ECU? We don't know that. Note, too, that comparing a 2002 CR-V to the 2008 TSX, the TSX has roughly a 45HP advantage, but the torque difference is only 2 lb/ft.

I would replace the engine as needed with another from a 2nd gen and just enjoy it for what it is. 🙂

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just don't put a K24 from a Civic into the CR-V -- different structures for different vehicles ;)

·
Registered
2002 Honda crv
23 Posts
Just remember the weak point is that auto transmission. Adding too much power to it will surely shorten the life of the trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts