Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally bought 5w30 rather than 5w20 on my last oil change. The car has 165,000 miles on it. I'm guessing with the wear the engine must have by now that the higher weight oil can't hurt it. It actually sounds noticeably quieter. Just wondering if anyone else might be running a 30 weight oil in the same engine? I use full synthetic and change it every 5K miles.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I would think you would be fine with 5W30. Sometime when you are bored, with nothing to do, here's an interesting motor oil article that explains/helps one to understand, motor oil viscosity, oil pressure and lubrication.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My mechanic had me use higher viscosity oil on my 95 Odyssey that was leaking oil from oil seals. I drove many miles doing that. Took it to 285 K miles and engine was still good.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
You won't have any issues running a 5W-30. In fact, it was the specified weight in several non-USA markets.

I've run synthetic 0W-20, 0W-30, and their 5W variants over the years...I can't resist close out sales at various stores. :LOL: One batch of oil I've used was 0W-40 when Castrol had a sale.

BTW I've waited until ~7500 miles before changing our synthetic oils. No issues with 185,000 miles on the odo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts