Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost the maint book.Does it have belt or chain and when does it need to be replaced? Approx Cost?

Thanks
\db

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Chain chain chain, and I'm pretty sure it never needs to be replaced, and if it does, probably when it breaks, which it may not. Check online, the owner's manual will be somewhere in PDF along with some kind of service record of maintenance, which you may find in a lot of links on this particular forum. 110,000ish is the big service for the 2nd gen. It cost me around $2,000. But that's the only real major service, everything after that is oil changes, and brakes, etc...

·
Registered
344 Posts
110,000ish is the big service for the 2nd gen. It cost me around $2,000.

The chain will need to be replaced when it becomes stretched to the service limit. How long it takes to reach that point is in direct correlation to how often the oil is changed. I've had a number of customers needing chain replacement around 80K miles. My Element has over 176K on it and is still going strong with nary a problem. There is an inspection procedure, but in reality once the chain is stretched too far, the MIL will illuminate with a P0341 CKP/CMP phase error.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I had a little discount card because of the anger and fury they gave me for the Odyssey's work, so the entire thing only cost me $800. They did not, however, replace the serpentine belt, which tore two days later... that I got for free as you can imagine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
2004 crv ex is it a Timing belt or chain...

Im looking at a 2004 crv, with 84,000 miles, i had planned as part of the negotiation to have the timing belt changed... then i saw a post in here that says that after 2002 the crv's have a timing chain instead of a belt. whats the year that it changed for sure... THANKS

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Im looking at a 2004 crv, with 84,000 miles, i had planned as part of the negotiation to have the timing belt changed... then i saw a post in here that says that after 2002 the crv's have a timing chain instead of a belt. whats the year that it changed for sure... THANKS
2002 and up all have chains.

·
Registered
23 Posts
when I bought my 2002 CRV, I also thought that it has a belt instead of the chain. I've been driving my CRV for about 13k (105xxx) miles, all I replaced was the chain tensioner (which is known for going bad), and whatever seals that can be replaced since you're going that direction anyways...

I was told that it is really important to change that tensioner. if it goes bad...expensive things happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a crv mk 2 2002 model does it have a cambelt or chain , and if it has a chain when should it be replaced ? THANKS John

·
Registered
1 Posts
can somebody help me here i have this 2002 Honda crv that needs a belt replacement but i need to know when breaking this belt those any damage occurs to the valve ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
can somebody help me here i have this 2002 Honda crv that needs a belt replacement but i need to know when breaking this belt those any damage occurs to the valve ?

Which belt? The serpentine belt?

2002 and up CRVs have a timing chain in place of a belt.

Breaking a serpentine belt will not harm the valves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts