Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well..

got a call from the wife today, saying that a light had appeared on the dash while driving back from dropping kids at school.. seems to have occurred after the engine gave a cough? never done that before, has always been a great drive and starter.. looking at the manual its a malfunction light ( amber engine sign ) weather has been a bit chilly lately but not excessive ( -4c at night )

107k miles on the clock and never abused.. so I recon its a trip to the local garage to check the codes and then go from there..

any suggestions of a ball park issue that might be the fault?

- updates will follow for future reference of others

cheers
Mike

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Well, glad it wasn't the Oil Pressure Warning Light. Your engine would be toast if she kept driving it. :(

It's a CEL (Check Engine Light). The next step is to get a code reader or scanner reading, to get that code. Post the code here. Autozone or the like will read OBD codes for free.

And BTW, next time "a light appears" she should pull over and snap a picture, LOL.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah.. she did just that, she's good like that ;-).. any ideas on locations in the UK that would read codes for free??

£25+vat for a scan from our local garage

CRV ight.jpg

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Good Girl! :cool:

I think you should inquire at a different garage. Can't you buy an OBDII scanner for less that that on Ebay? Or borrow one from a friend or co worker?

I think that you can come pretty close...Some of the ELM327 Bluetooth (for use with Smartphone apps) or wired-for-laptop items seem inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XOBDII+scanner.TRS0&_nkw=OBDII+scanner&_sacat=0

+++++++++++++++++

With 107K, your V is due for sparkplugs and a valve adjustment. I bet it's a Misfire code P0300, 0301, 0302, etc but that's just a wild guess. Does the engine run OK now after a start/stop?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its running all fine, as she had to go to work and return about 2 mile trip, she mentioned it coughed ( skipped a beat ) so a misfire could be right on the money ( figures crossed ) I have looked at an OB reader before, but never got around to it.. ( I thought some didn't like Honda codes )

If it is a misfire, is it just a reset and see if it happens again?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
An optimist Hmm? :) .... yeah, it COULD be a misfire, the services I mentioned are warranted, to eliminate misfires.

Could be a VTEC actuator also (which are known to fail on early Gen2s). Espec. if the 'cough' happened when higher revs took place...

The code will tell. It's all just speculation, now.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yes, if you can't get it read for free, you can do a reset and see if it comes back right away. If so, definitely get it read.
Could just be spark plugs or one of the ignition coils or nothing needing immediate attention.
Read up on how to reset.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think getting the code read for free over in the uk is wishful thinking, prices seems to be fairly broad from garage to garage. From £25 to £35 pounds.. From the few I phoned

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So.. Readings done and system reset, light has gone out and stayed off so far..
P0133- HO2S S1 slow response
P0141- HO2S heater circuit malfunction
P0420- catalyst deterioration
P0304- misfire #4 cylinder

So I recon the last one caused the light to come on, and I've picked up some new plugs for £14 nkg's and will install these at the weekend..

Any idea on the other codes??

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
The P0141 indicates that you may need a Bank 1 O2 sensor. This is the first one that the exhaust comes to, nearest the engine. Buy an OEM type Denso sensor, NOT a generic one. The sensor is 'wide-band'. Hold your breath when you look up the cost.

If you have the special O2 wrench and can safely jack up the car, these sensors are not too difficult to replace.

The sensor should fix the first two codes...the p0420 hopefully is a result of the sensor not reading properly.

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
After replacing the spark plugs, clear the codes again and wait and see. In the meantime, I guess you could visually check the wires going to the primary O2 sensor to see if they are damage and the connector is in good shape.
If the light does come back on, it is most likely time to replace that primary (forward) O2 sensor.
A misfiring engine can cause a failure of the catalyst converter due to the unburned fuel getting into it.
If you replace the O2 sensor, use a direct fit Denso one for best results, as Carbuff2 recommended.
After, you replace the spark plugs, make sure the air filter is in good shape and take out on the hwy for some relatively high speed driving to help get the temps up and possible clean out the system some. Try running it at a hwy speed in a lower gear to get the revs up above 4k or so. A can of Chevron Techron Concentrate or SeaFoam, added to the gas tank, could also help.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ouch .. £115 for a Denso sensor.. I'm doing the plugs this weekend and the light has stayed off since the reset earlier today, the sensor may have to wait until next payday .. Thanks everyone..

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Ouch .. £115 for a Denso sensor..
Told ya. :(

As Buffalo4 said, get under the car and make sure there is no damage to the wires going to the O2 sensor. Perhaps the THUNK was something kicked up under the car, that hit the wires.

Disconnect and re-connect the sensor's plug three times, to clean any corrosion off the connection, too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a look at the OEM supplier (lingshonda) and they are £224 each for the sensor. When you say get an OEM, or will a Denso crv named suffice at half the price?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Yes, a Denso sensor at half price should be the same. Look on their website for part numbers and descriptions.

I looked for a part number at Rock Auto but they only show parts for the 2.4L engine used in North America. Yours is a 2.0L if you are in the UK, correct?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Those plugs do NOT look like Iridium (as specified for North American 2.4L engines). The gap looks really wide on the second from the right...that is an invitation for a misfire. Did you compare any of the gaps with the spec on the bonnet sticker?

Were you able to inspect the oxygen sensor wiring?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi.. No these are not iridium plugs, the manual here does not specify these only standard NGK's, and you are correct I ran the feeler gauge across these and a couple where open far to much and might have been a possible cause for the misfire code.. The light has not reappeared since the reset at the garage. (Fingers crossed).. I'll check the sensor tomorrow if I can get under without getting too wet and dirty in the process, I've not really got any access to lift the front end safely, only a trolley jack but no axle stands..

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Those plugs needed to be changed. Hopefully the new ones you put in will take care of your problems.
It looks like your engine is running pretty clean, overall, just looking at he plug colors.
Those are not the Iridium plugs suggested for a 2002 CRV (North American) on the ngk.com website.
NGK recommends: NGK 6994 IZFR6K-11 Laser Iridium Plug .
Not saying that other NGKs won't work, but the above one is recommended. Denso also list the DENSO 3374 spark plug for one that will work on the 2.4L engine and it cross references to the NGK ZFR6K-11.
I would sure go with the NGK 6994 IZFR6K-11 Laser Iridium Plug or the Denso 3377 SKJ20DR-M11 Iridium Long Life Plug.
BTW, which ones did you install?
I wouldn't crawl under the CRV unless you continue to get the codes again. :)

Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The spark plugs specified in the 2002 CRV owner's manual on page 268 says to use:
NGK IZFR6K-11
Denso: SKJ20DR-M11
Gap: 0.04 in (1.1mm) + or - 0.1mm
Course this is now 14 yrs later. :)

Buffalo4

1 - 20 of 33 Posts