Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble getting the last few gallons of fuel in my 02, likely because the tank is not properly venting as fuel displaces air in the tank. Just wondering if anyone has some tips on how to troubleshoot whether this is due to a restricted hose in the evap system, or possibly another issue like a bad charcoal canister or purge valve. I have not had a check engine light illuminate, there's no fault codes stored in the ECU, and I have not noticed any fuel smells in the cabin either.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
When you're putting gas in the tank, it is venting through the open cap where you are putting the fuel in. I don't think you have a problem other than the nature of the critter. I used to worry about getting in every last drop but it risks ruining the charcoal canister. I now put the fuel nozzle on slow and let it run until it clicks and stop. What difference does a little less fuel make?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to worry about getting in every last drop but it risks ruining the charcoal canister. I now put the fuel nozzle on slow and let it run until it clicks and stop. What difference does a little less fuel make?
A fouled/plugged charcoal canister is exactly the outcome when pushing the fill beyond the auto shut-off. I agree that this is not a good practice and seems the canisters never recoup.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you're putting gas in the tank, it is venting through the open cap where you are putting the fuel in. I don't think you have a problem other than the nature of the critter. I used to worry about getting in every last drop but it risks ruining the charcoal canister. I now put the fuel nozzle on slow and let it run until it clicks and stop. What difference does a little less fuel make?
Maybe I'm just shoving the fuel handle in too far, pumping it too fast, or the PO already ruined the canister.

I do like to get it topped to the intended full, without overfilling to keep accurate track of MPG, and so I don't have to stop for fuel so often. I use the car mostly for deliveries, and can be stopping 4-5 times a week sometimes.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Maybe I'm just shoving the fuel handle in too far, pumping it too fast, or the PO already ruined the canister.

I do like to get it topped to the intended full, without overfilling to keep accurate track of MPG, and so I don't have to stop for fuel so often. I use the car mostly for deliveries, and can be stopping 4-5 times a week sometimes.
A ruined canister would not change the filling of the tank as it vents from the removed gas cap. I put the nozzle in as little as possible (usually just past the little thing that keeps larger nozzles from fitting) and fun the pump on the slowest notch on the handle. When it cut off, I stop. If you do it the same way every time, the MPG will average out over a short period of time.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts

The fuel range of the V is not far, especially under stop-and-go delivery conditions. I'd bet that ~200 miles is what you are seeing. Have you calculated the MPG? City dwellers often report MPG in the teens. :(

Cramming the Evap system with raw gasoline is not a good practice. Suck it up, and be resigned to stopping more often.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fuel range of the V is not far, especially under stop-and-go delivery conditions. I'd bet that ~200 miles is what you are seeing. Have you calculated the MPG? City dwellers often report MPG in the teens. :(
I've actually been getting 19-22 MPG doing deliveries, which is pretty much as rough as it gets with all the stop and go + low side street speeds + idling. I don't have a lead foot, or run the AC until it's over 95 or so degrees though. Can't complain at all about those numbers considering the vehicle is almost 15 years old with 160K.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the trouble refueling was actually a prelude to code 1467. Thankfully it was the charcoal canister valve that was bad, not the canister itself, and the $28 Dorman replacement seems to be working just fine. Last few fill ups were without issue to the normal click off full capacity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts