Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Shade-Tree Honda Mechanics,

I am having some peculiar issues with the power lock system on my '03 CR-V. Most of the problem centers around the driver's side lock which does not respond to either fob anymore and can only be locked with the outside key (it cannot be locked from the inside of the vehicle). After you get this done, the alarm won't engage anymore.

The dealer claims that they never heard of the problem before....of course. Does anyone have any advice before I open the driver's side, left door panel and replace the lock actuator?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hello Fellow Shade-Tree Honda Mechanics,

I am having some peculiar issues with the power lock system on my '03 CR-V. Most of the problem centers around the driver's side lock which does not respond to either fob anymore and can only be locked with the outside key (it cannot be locked from the inside of the vehicle). After you get this done, the alarm won't engage anymore.

The dealer claims that they never heard of the problem before....of course. Does anyone have any advice before I open the driver's side, left door panel and replace the lock actuator?

:confused:
There have been problems with the actuators becoming fouled/sticky. An actuator is not very expensive so I think it better to replace it rather than try to clean it. When the actuator is like this I think it prevents the alarm from functioning because the alarm looks to see if the actuator has traveled to it's limit which is unlikely when it sticks. FWIW

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not to try to insult your intelligence or anything but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. Have you tried new batteries in the remotes? If they have never been replaced they are now about seven years old and most likely beyond their time.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Did your dealers service department actually look at the vehicle?

Or did you call up and decsribe the problem on to have one of the circus advisors tell you they have never heard of this issue before?

If this is the case the service advisors job is to write up and RO and let the guys that are actually qualified to make the call as to what the problem is.

I read a lot of ``my dealer said`` posts most of the forums i am on and they leave me wondering just who was the person at the dealer that gave the information.

In the last 26 years of working at dealerships i have worked with more than 50 different service advisors and in that time less than 10 of them were actually licenced technicians.

To echo Fixer this has all the symptoms of a bad actuator.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Not to try to insult your intelligence or anything but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. Have you tried new batteries in the remotes? If they have never been replaced they are now about seven years old and most likely beyond their time.
Hey Gravy; I was thinking that too but then thought if it "can not be locked from inside" and "most of the problem centers around the driver's side lock", that led me to suspect only one (sticky) lock (actuator fault). Probably a good idea to check the batts anyway:cool:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey, what is it with these dealers (sorry lizzurd, "circus advisers") who have never heard of a part failing. My comeback is, "so, are you hard of hearing, or do you come recently from another planet".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

I'll get new batteries for both remotes today....What could it hurt to be sure? I hate taking my car to the dealership for electrical trouble-shooting. Sometimes it can turn into big labor bills for diagnostics....and they always have those new parts right on the shelf in the next room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts