Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 03 that my daughter drives daily. It has about 155k miles. I was told struts needed replacing about 2 yrs ago but that it was not urgent. My daughter tells me now that the crv is really riding rough and making much noise. I would like to do this job myself as I was quoted about $1200 for this job. I have searched the forum and am confused over which parts I should purchase and replace. I have read a lot of negative comments on the Monroe quick struts. Should I go with KYB and use original springs and mounting plates? What other parts should I replace when doing this job? sway bar end links? bushings? how about the rear? Should I do those also, and which parts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, $1200 for both front & back is standard. I replaced my original 2000 rear struts (200,000+ mi) with KGB because they had affected wear on rear tires. Mechanic showed me the condition & date label of old
then he showed me damage on rear tire from old rear strut. (Front strut was replaced 4 years ago).
I was told that tough riding can also be affected by road conditions or incorrect PSI inflation.

KYB is supposedly the best but Monroe is OK (compare prices) according to mechanics. Look at the tire wear (when mounted) to determine if you need only front strut now or both as it is a big job. The damaged on my rear tire was not visible until car was mounted (new tires installed). Instead of guessing, maybe it's wiser to pay a mechanic to inspect condition of the bushings and springs, etc. before purchasing & taking on more work. The car is supposed to be realigned after new struts inquired.

If budget is a consideration & your daughter is employed, I suggest she pay the $60 for the realignment after struts are installed. Hope these comments help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just bought "quick fit" strut by monroe via the only online parts store worth trusting. Spent 3 weeks chasing down these guys - compared all their competitors via reviews & everyone else are hucksters by comparison. Am a real owner, not a shill.I checked their site for your 2003 front-wheel drive $100 each, free shipping. (This forum blocked me from including the direct lin)
Then my local garage charged $150 to install. Maybe you don't need front & back or maybe you have 4w drive. Whatever, this solution working amazing for me, and the Car ID guys are phenomenal. I chose Monroe performance option so installed $450 - hope this helps, and please share to this group, Car ID truly deserves the exposure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
rikiretardo
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing