Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has the solution on what will permanently eliminate the
stale cigarette smoke smell from a CRV EX that I just purchased. I have parked it in my garage with windows open to air out the interior but has not worked so far.

I was thinking about trying a vinegar/water mix sprayed throughout the interior.

Any non chemical treatment suggestions will be welcome.
Bill

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Febreeze for auto's works. After that, put some vanilla extract on a paper towel and put it on the floor. Some of those Arm\Hammer products that you use to take pet odors from carpets...sprinkle on the seats and carpets.

Any of these may work and are cheap alternatives to having it detailed where they steam clean the entire interior.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The carpet absorbs smell a lot, but the real issue is the windows and the dashboard, the windows collect the smell and tar, then they get rolled down as everyone tends to do while they're smoking in the car, and the smell gets rolled down into the door. Same with the windshield. Attack all the windows with vinegar, and wipe the dash down with alcohol to get rid of any sealant, then totally hose the seats down with water, not drenched, but make them damp, and then push on them, with your hands really hard, and wipe up all the water that you squeeze out. Follow with the vanilla extract on the paper towel trick as mentioned earlier to get it out of the carpet, and then wipe down the headliner with any kind of carpet or interior cleaner you can get. That should bring the smell down to about 5%.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would use something like Bissell's Little Green to clean the interior rather than just water. I have one, and it works great on car interiors. Also, there is a product by Dakota called the Odor Bomb that is made for removing tough smells. A detailer could also do an ozone treatment which may be the best method for assuring you get rid of the smell. Something like Febreze or Lysol ain't gonna get it done though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your suggestions. :)
The Nissan dealer that I bought it from has obviously done quite the cleaning job, however, the smoke odor is still strong ( I wonder about the condition of the previous owners lungs !). As tcturner suggested , the dealer also suggested placing a couple of sheets of fabric softner in the car and thats what I have done.
Next, I am going to replace or clean the fresh air filter and then use some of your other ideas.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would suggest having your carpet and seats cleaned with an extractor. When we bought an 01 CRV for my neice, it also had smoke smell in it. We cleaned the floor carpet with a carpet extractor. The seats are leather so of course you can't extract them. Anyways it worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts