Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at buying a used car. After searching a week to see what used cars we can afford on the 'best of the best' cars listed in Consumer Reports, the best CR-V I can afford is an '04 with 71,000 miles. For the same money I can get a Toyotal Camry ('06) with 41,000 miles or a Corolla '08 with 19,000 miles.

I like the CRV best but common sense says to get a newer low mileage car, even if it means smaller.

Help me decide! Will the CRV still last me 10 more years? Is the price for an '04, 71K miles CRV at 11,700 good? We usually drive our cars till they can't run anymore. We have 2 (20) year old cars.

Convince me that the CRV is the way to go :). We have 2 kids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are looking at buying a used car. After searching a week to see what used cars we can afford on the 'best of the best' cars listed in Consumer Reports, the best CR-V I can afford is an '04 with 71,000 miles. For the same money I can get a Toyotal Camry ('06) with 41,000 miles or a Corolla '08 with 19,000 miles.

I like the CRV best but common sense says to get a newer low mileage car, even if it means smaller.

Help me decide! Will the CRV still last me 10 more years? Is the price for an '04, 71K miles CRV at 11,700 good? We usually drive our cars till they can't run anymore. We have 2 (20) year old cars.

i have a 04 CRVEX with 69000 miles. Never had any problems with the car and I am thinking of trading it in for the 10 CRV EXL w/ navigation. trade in value came in at $10,000.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Camry is a great car and that much newer and lower mileage it would be hard not to go for that (although I seriously rate the CRV)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Eh, a little pricey. I just paid $9500 for an 02 EX with about the same mileage. Yeah mine is 2 years older than that but 2002-2004 were the same car. Don't be worried about the mileage vs the Camry either, 71k for a CR-V is just getting warmed up.

I'd keep looking price wise, they're out there for cheaper and even with less mileage. Heck I looked at a 2003 Red/Saddle LX with 54k on it for $10k. Only reason I got my EX was that I wanted black/black.

I mean, do you want to be like every other person on the road with a boring Toyota sedan or would you rather get the utility of the CR-V?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can never find a comfortable seating position in any Toyota product. The Corolla is a little short on legroom if you're over 5'10". The Camry is abotu the most boring vehcile ever made. I had a '03 Corolla for about 2 years. Outstanding mileage, easily achieved EPA ratings (the old EPA ratings), good performance, mediocre handling and brakes. It towed a 1000lb trailer pretty well. Descent luggage and passenger space. It still felt a little cheap. the Hodna Civic is much more refined IMO and a betterhandling car.

The question is, do you need a small SUV/wagon or a car? Are you willing to only get 20-30mpg in a CRV compared to a Camry or Accord at 22-35mpg or a Corolla getting 28-40mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a question that is similar to the OP, maybe it will help him decide. OP did you decide yet?

We too are looking into buying a 04 CR-V LX 2WD, with 100k miles. Selling price got down to $7750, plus dealer fee of $595, plus title&license fee, plus tax = $9100.

It seemed like it was in pretty good condition but there was 1 issue. The driver's door lock is stuck in unlocked position. The key won't even insert into the lock and you can't lock it from the inside. Why wouldn't they just fix that before selling it? Is it better to tell them we'll fix it ourselves and use that to negotiate a lower price? Or work it into the sale that they fix it after we buy it? I searched around the forums but couldn't figure out a good estimate for how much it would be to fix that problem... the salesmen said $200... no idea how accurate that is.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a question that is similar to the OP, maybe it will help him decide. OP did you decide yet?

We too are looking into buying a 04 CR-V LX 2WD, with 100k miles. Selling price got down to $7750, plus dealer fee of $595, plus title&license fee, plus tax = $9100.

It seemed like it was in pretty good condition but there was 1 issue. The driver's door lock is stuck in unlocked position. The key won't even insert into the lock and you can't lock it from the inside. Why wouldn't they just fix that before selling it? Is it better to tell them we'll fix it ourselves and use that to negotiate a lower price? Or work it into the sale that they fix it after we buy it? I searched around the forums but couldn't figure out a good estimate for how much it would be to fix that problem... the salesmen said $200... no idea how accurate that is.

Keyless won't work either? My best guess is that it just needs a new lock cylinder. In fact I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Part is not too much and they're easy to install oneself with the door panel removed. I'd negotiate the price down another few $hundred and that price is definitely good for the car. I see 02-04 RTAWD cars with that mileage or higher going for $10k+ all the time. If you can live with the 2WD and are ok with the known G2 air conditioning compressor issue (could potentially ruin the entire AC system which is expensive) then I'd definitely negotiate it down a bit and take it.

If you are not set on a G2, you can get a G1 with RTAWD and lower mileage for even less, but then you have to worry about timing belts and valve adjustments.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Spoke about it a couple weeks ago. Spotted a '01 SE AWD
with 71K miles, stated clean, for $9,995, at a Dealership.
Look around...don't jump.

After my '05 SE AWD got Tboned, I almost went to New York,
to find a near perfect copy. Thought that much of how good
it had been to have it for five years. ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's still an awful lot even for a SE. I found a 2000 LX AWD in good shape with 82kish on the clock for $6500. There really isn't very much difference in the G1 models. I would not pay an extra $3k for leather with similar miles. Radios are cheap to swap, keyless is $60 for two remotes and is in all G1s anyway and the alloy rims are not a huge deal really.

Really isn't much difference between the models in G1s. Even G2s besides the moonroof. Radio, rims, keyless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts