Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's 04 CRV had a power steering whine and I replaced the pump with an aftermarket pump but it didn't fix the whine. Unfortunately she had also been filling the reservoir with non Honda Power steering fluid and the fluid was a yellow gravy like substance. I tried getting all the fluid out as much as I could and flushed it a couple times with Honda Power steering fluid but it's still yellowish and it's still whining. Any other ideas? Is this one of those parts where it needs an OEM part? Is there any way to completely get all of the yellow junk fluid out of the entire system? Could this still be causing the whine? Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
Honda PS steering IS a 'special' brew.

It is easy enough to change...just suck out the reservoir with a turkey baster or an old pump sprayer, then refill. Do this every few drives until you have used up TWO 12-OZ bottles. It takes more than a couple tries.

In any case, I would do additional PS fluid replacements until the fluid doesn't look like 'a yellow gravy like substance' any more. :Darn:

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Replace the reservoir as well... can't hurt...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll replace the reservoir and drive it around a few more times and keep flushing the fluid until I get all the yellow crap out. This may be a stupid question but, does it matter if I get an after market reservoir or oem? $23 vs $77. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
no the reservoir doesnt matter.

Hopefully simply flushing the fluid fixes it as God knows what shes been putting in there.

Dont drive it to flush it. Just run the engine turning the wheel all the way to the right then all the way to left. Shut it off and drain the fluid, refill with new Honda fluid and repeat.

If you cant get rid of the whining after doing all that then the damage has been done to the pump, have it warrantied.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts