Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 CRV that is leaking at the top of the rear hatch glass. When looking at the closed glass from the side I can see a gap between the gasket and the glass. The gasket looks to be in good shape. The upper portion of the glass is not closing as far as the bottom portion.

This seems like something I should be able to adjust, but I can't figure out how. The hinge looks to be easily adjustable side-to-side and up-and-down. How do I pull the top portion of the glass in tighter to the door? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
The hinge is not adjustable. Likely you have a bad failed hinge or a misinformed rubber seal. Further inspection is required and replacement of either the hinge or seal.

Cheers
Zaze

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mike, first welcome to the forum. I have to agree with ZAZE, you may need a new seal, but on a side note try this. I'm assuming your seal is attached to the pinch weld (body) by pushing the weather strip down until it seats. At the area where the leak is, simply get a very small rubber hose ( like windshield washer hose ) maybe 3-4 inches long, and lift up the weather strip and place the small hose inside the seal, which will raise the weather strip up to the glass. JMHO and much cheaper than the price of a new weather strip, good luck.
David g..............:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a picture taken from the driver's side of the open door. It looks to me like the glass itself pretty far out of place. Is there really no way to adjust the glass in?

CRVHinge.jpg

Thanks for your help!!

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
The service manual shows that the upper mount of the hinge is adjustable up and down. It does not show any adjustments to pull the glass in. It would seem that either the hinges or the tailgate surface where they mount is bent in some way. See if you can get a body shop to eyeball it, they will be able to tell what is wrong.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,644 Posts
That pic shows that yes, the glass is MUCH farther out than it should be.

Assuming you did all the 'visuals' (seal is fully, uniformly seated onto it's flange, hinge is not damaged, 3rd brake lamp is correctly positioned) then my first guess is a worn hinge.

How 'bout more pics? Open hatch glass with pic of the seal and light. Close-up of hinge from both inside & outside. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts