Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
05 CR-V
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned on headlights 3 days ago to go out.. no low beams! High beams worked, so ran my errand.
Yesterday I tried them again...worked!!.....then they quit 30 mins later. Auto parts guy said it sounded like the combination headlight/turn signal assembly. So I bought one and replaced it today......no change. Still no low beams. I don't think is a bulb issue as both bulbs did work for a time. Same for the fuses as high beams work and I think there is one fuse for high/low beams per side. Am I missing something? Suggestions?... or is this one for auto shop?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Loose electrical connectors. Pull the bulbs out and use a small screwdriver to bend the connectors a bit; so they're a tighter fit. do the same to the main wiring harness connectors. The heat and current draw over the past 15 years, waddled out the electrical connectors. You may want to get a tube of dielectric grease to squeeze into the connectors, to prevent moisture and corrosion damage.
By the way; Your bulbs (H1) are interchangeable. If you loose a bulb on the road; you can just swap them over - until you can get a replacement.

·
Registered
05 CR-V
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I will try the connector pin tweak and grease and update later.

·
Registered
05 CR-V
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Restored low beams today! Moral is ...never assume. Pulled bulb connector to check for wear and rust. Decided to check bulb resistance....open? But they previously worked for 30 mins.!? Measured other bulb...open!.. Both blown.
After a trip to the auto store for new bulbs and several cuss words trying to reinstall the bulb clips, both beams working.
Took my original combo switch apart to find charring (burnt) contacts. The electrical grease inside had liquified. Some web research showed this is a known common issue for early Honda models using this type headlight switch. Hopefully the new switch (after market) will last a few years.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
435 Posts
Back in the 20th century, mid 1900's and later, tubes were the prevalent technology.
The filaments would burn out in one of the tubes.
But, smacking the unit would sometimes get it to work
Why?? Cause the shock would make the filament make contact
and the electric current would keep it together, making contact.
Or the pins holding the tube was loose and the shock would make it work.

So, I believe the bulbs did burn out and work after they were burnt out.
It is just the way the bulbs were made.
Of course, today's tech with semi-conductors don't have this.
Still, you will find older techs troubleshoot by hitting the unit being tested.
My motto use to be if it don't work then hit it. :ROFLMAO::p

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,303 Posts
My motto use to be if it don't work then hit it. :ROFLMAO:
Then, if you can't get it to work, you need a bigger hammer!!!

(But don't try this with today's plastic cars...) :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Avisitor

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,232 Posts
Then, if you can't get it to work, you need a bigger hammer!!!

(But don't try this with today's plastic cars...) :ROFLMAO:
Or today's TVs!

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,273 Posts
those thin wires are hard to miss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts