Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have an 05 CRV SE that needs a new windshield. I've searched the forums about the difference between getting a new OEM from the dealer(at least 500 for the windshield alone) vs having someone like safelite replace it($200). My first thought is safelite since 1. I own the car outright 2. i have no intention of ever selling the car 3. of course 200 is way more budget friendly. Can some of the more experienced CRV owners chime in and help me with the pros and cons on who to choose for replacement?

all input appreciated Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have not had to change a windshield on my CRV's, but have on other vehicles. Also several in my family. Always had it done by other than dealers for a lot less. The last two were done by a company that come to your house or job. No problems ever.

Just make sure you have it done by a place that knows what they're doing and do a good job. Ask your friends.

Dealers usually farm the job out anyway, and make a profit on it.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
All your doing is paying more for the same product by going to the dealer in this case.

That extra $300.00 will only add "Honda" someplace on the glass. There is not extra warranty and if either one chip or crack 2hrs after you leave the shop, that's the breaks.

No need to pay the extra unless "Honda" on the glass some place is really that important.

·
Registered
55 Posts
First, check your auto insurance policy. You might be covered at no or little cost.

Second, I had a Safelite replacement under insurance of my Camry Hybrid windscreen, and it was great. They did a fantastic job and did it fast at my house.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
The original CR-V windscreen does not have tint along the top. Some aftermarket glass does. IMO this is a nice added benefit, you may want inquire before committing with any vendor.

JM2C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts