Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It whines all the time and more when accelerating and I hear it mainly on drivers side when starting to accelerate from a stop. I changed PS pump and Alternator and checked idler pulley. Plan to change rear differential fluid. I unfortunately added Lucas Stop Leak to PS fluid which am now told may exacerbate the whine so will replace all PS fluid again. Tranny is smooth and fluid level is fine. Mechanics ran diagnostics and saw no issues on that or anything else. HELP!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Rear diff will moan when it moves. PS would moan when applied pressure to the wheel on a standstill. just my opinion.

like you are doing things rule them out one at a time and keep the site posted, people will chime in to help out when they see the posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear diff will moan when it moves. PS would moan when applied pressure to the wheel on a standstill. just my opinion.

like you are doing things rule them out one at a time and keep the site posted, people will chime in to help out when they see the posts
THANK YOU! I'll keep at it and post whatever I find as I'm narrowing it down bit by bit. It sure helps to be part of this group and nice folks like you will respond to help me.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
does it whine when you rev the engine in park? if so, try to take out the drive belt see if the whining goes away. Fishycomics is right it could be the PS pump.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does it whine when you rev the engine in park? if so, try to take out the drive belt see if the whining goes away. Fishycomics is right it could be the PS pump.
Thank you! Not in park. It seems to whine when I accelerate or turn a corner then accelerate again. We totally replaced the PS pump and alternator and the mechanic said he did check the idler and tensioner, but hey it's worth it to make sure so we may do that in a week along with changing the rear diff fluid. I appreciate your response.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
How about in Neutral? when in park move the steering wheel left to right quickly see if the whine will occur. Does the engine whine even the engine is cold?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did he check the Water Pump?
How about in Neutral? when in park move the steering wheel left to right quickly see if the whine will occur. Does the engine whine even the engine is cold?
[/QUOTE
No additional whine in neutral or park when turning lock to lock. It seems to increase to a level when I've driven it. Cold start this morning and drove 5 miles and by the time I got to about 2 miles the whining seemed to hit that level and moaned a bit more when I would accelerate after slowing down to make a turn. A neighbor suggested I may be overly sensitive now as I just bought this 05 CRV and had been driving an 03 civic that was always quiet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Someone told me one time that he had a issue like that and the problem was a seal on the power steering. It was another car made, not honda. I have a honda crv 05, too. No issue like that so far

If you never changed Differential fluid it would be a good idea to do it, I had some noise at one time and it was the diff fluid

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone told me one time that he had a issue like that and the problem was a seal on the power steering. It was another car made, not honda. I have a honda crv 05, too. No issue like that so far

If you never changed Differential fluid it would be a good idea to do it, I had some noise at one time and it was the diff fluid
Thanks for responding. Yeah did the seals change and then replaced the PS pump so new seals. Yeah I agree I'll change the diff fluid for sure. At this point it I'm not ruling out a squirrel in the engine bay screaming with terror. Thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about the trans fluid level? Have you tried load torquing the engine without the drive belt?
Yep trans fluid and all gear changes are smooth and on time. I think my mechanic did that and they checked the idler and tensioner too. It was a busy day there so maybe they didn't. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
do a search on transmission whine. there is a cover plate on the drivers side and a bearing in there that goes bad. seems like it whines, but causes no issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do a search on transmission whine. there is a cover plate on the drivers side and a bearing in there that goes bad. seems like it whines, but causes no issues.
Good tip to check out thanks. I do hear that whine on the driver's side. Thanks again and a happy thanksgiving to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good tip to check out thanks. I do hear that whine on the driver's side. Thanks again and a happy thanksgiving to you.
After some research it appears you may be right. I bought this from a Honda dealer and my son who works at a Honda dealer in Montana said I should contact the dealer and ask what they can do for me as the dealer my son works for does free customer satisfaction work on used vehicles all the time. I've done this and awaiting a response. On Monday I will change the rear diff fluid as a last ditch effort but from where the whine is coming from at around 1500rpm it seems logical that it is the transmission. Had I done enough research in the beginning I would have discovered that transmission problems are common in this second gen CRV. Thanks again for your insight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My seemingly endless quest to locate and fix the loud whine has a happy ending. Here is all that was tried and done along the way. Replaced o-rings in the PS pump then replaced the PS itself with a defective one then replaced that one. Replaced the alternator. Checked transmission, checked wheel bearings and replaced the water pump. As a last resort we ordered the rack and pinion plus the PS pressure line. My mechanic said that before we get into the huge expense of replacing the rack and pinion he would remove the PS pressure line to inspect it and replace, if needed, with a genuine Honda part. It turned out that the previous owner had replaced that pressure line with an aftermarket part which was too small. New Honda PS pressure line replaced in under an hour and instantly the loud whine ceased. Two months of fear and loathing and 3 different mechanics and all is finally FIXED.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
congrat's on the machanic doing their job.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts