Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 2006 CR-V SE with the Moonroof and I installed cross bars awhile back for him. I was wondering if there's anyone here that has solved that issue with a roof rack wind deflector. I'm worried about the moonroof not being able to tilt upwards with the wind deflector in place due to clearance. I was also looking in to the option of placing a moonroof visor, but feel like it may not be high enough to cut the wind from going under the the cross bar.

If anyone has a wind deflector installed with a moonroof, can you post pictures of the clearance with the moonroof tilted up?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Are these OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand? When you say deflector it makes me think of a Yakima Rack and the front fairing.

I had OEM crossbars and had no issues even with the basket mounted.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're aftermarket crossbars purchased off of eBay. Honda4Life, thinking of a roof rack wind deflector like the ones made by Yakima to silence whistling noise at 50+mph. Thanks for the advice, hygieneboy, will have to try that out.

Here's a picture of the roof rack cross bars:
image.jpg

There's not much clearance between the cross bar and moon roof:
image.jpg

My question is, if he purchased a Yakima 40" Wind Deflector, how much room would there be for the moon roof to still be able to tilt upwards.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So you are thinking about adding a fairing just to the factory cross bars (no bike rack, basket, kayak rack, etc.?). If so, I doubt it would work and bet it would add more noise than you already have. It will give you worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So you are thinking about adding a fairing just to the factory cross bars (no bike rack, basket, kayak rack, etc.?). If so, I doubt it would work and bet it would add more noise than you already have. It will give you worse gas mileage.
Are you speaking from experience? Most research says that 1% mpg difference with cross bars installed, but there's nothing on mpg difference from fairings/wind deflector. I can't image it being that much of a decrease. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, on previous cars the fairings have cut down gas mileage and increased noise. I don't hear any noise off of my factory bars on my Gen 2. The profile to the wind of the factory bars is much less than a fairing. A fairing might help if you had a basket, bike racks, etc, but you aren't doing that and the profile of a fairing is a lot more than the aero factory bars.

Additionally, I don't see how you are going to make a fairing work. They are designed to be installed so they are coming down in front of a sunroof. The factory bars are too far rearward to allow to attach a the fairings I have seen so that they are ahead of the sunroof.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I put bars from E-Bay on my 2016 and they made wind noise and I took them back off. They looked just like the OEM ones. I didn't notice a noise from my 2001 Escape but it was so loud otherwise, you couldn't have the heard the wind noise anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think i got the solution. Buy a ton of dynamat. Take all the interior out and put it behind all the panels. You could put a dam sail up there then to save on gas and you wouldnt hear a peep :)

Cheers
ZAZE

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've had the smoked fiberglass wind deflectors on several cars prior to this one and they seemed to work fine !! By definition, I'd think a certain amount of wind noise is present no matter what. Too many here are preoccupied with gas mileage when the price/gallon jumps all over the place. When you see what extremes these companies go to to increase that precious number (Ex: programming the alt. to charge less often to decrease load on the engine), you should realize just how fragile and meaningless the claims really are !! Gotta go change my p/w again - can't be too careful. Craig

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't had a chance to test out the bungie cord on the cross bar yet. Lost a family pet (Doberman) on Saturday due to heart failures. R.I.P. Crisis 11.08.08 - 06.18.16

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have $50 ebay roof rack. it whistle around 40mph then above 60mph.
today i wraped both racks with bungee cords and it eliminated whistle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts