Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I seem to be burning out headlights more then one would expect. I bought my CR-V used one previous owner and since I have owned it I go through headlights every few months.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
One thing that can make a big difference is if you are "touching" the glass bulb with your bare hands. I ALWAYS wear rubber gloves when replacing anything electrical and also use some dielectric grease on the snap in part. Other than that, you could be having a short somewhere.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 06 SE and after about 2 years started going through bulbs every 6-9 months. At 3 yrs. Dealer said battery was weak, but since it was spring waited till fall to replace it. Been about 3 yrs and haven't replaced one bulb. Noticed in the link above someone else seemed to solve the problem by replacing the battery

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Dad (previous owner of my CR-V) and I had the same problems too. We just replaced the battery for the first time (06 as well). Hopefully this will solve the problem for us too. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i also have a 2006 crv blowing headlight bulbs....but now im reading 36 volts dc in one of the sockets.....does anyone know why this would be happening....any help would be great

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have an 2006 CRV with headlights frequently buring out. I dont touch the bulbs, so no problem there. I do notice that sometimes when I start the car in the moring that the battery seems low, like something is draining it but it doesnt happen all the time. I also have an issue with the interior dome light butning out frequently. I replaced the car battery about a year ago. I dont recall any improvement when I first installed it, I was not at that time aware there could be a connection, but now the problems are a bad as ever. I dont want to replace the battery every year, seems there should be a root cause to the battery being drained that should be corrected. Is it possible that the dome light and headlight issues are related?
I have a friend with an 05 CRV who said she can not keep her dome light buring for more than a few days. Shes given up on it. Not sure if she has headlight issues too.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
When the engine is running what is the voltage at the battery? You might have an over voltage condition. Check the running voltage at the battery. Your friend might have the same problem too. Let me know.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,732 Posts
Some brands are susceptible to burnout, like the Silverstars. Folks have had good luck with European Osrams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have an 2006 CRV with headlights frequently buring out. I dont touch the bulbs, so no problem there. I do notice that sometimes when I start the car in the moring that the battery seems low, like something is draining it but it doesnt happen all the time. I also have an issue with the interior dome light butning out frequently. I replaced the car battery about a year ago. I dont recall any improvement when I first installed it, I was not at that time aware there could be a connection, but now the problems are a bad as ever. I dont want to replace the battery every year, seems there should be a root cause to the battery being drained that should be corrected. Is it possible that the dome light and headlight issues are related?
I have a friend with an 05 CRV who said she can not keep her dome light buring for more than a few days. Shes given up on it. Not sure if she has headlight issues too.
Thanks for any help!

·
Administrator
3,470 Posts
Some bulbs do burn out faster than others. The best ones a I've found are the cheapest basic halogens.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
Moved to Gen 2. This is not a misc. discussion.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
Yep. Poor replacement bulb quality is a known issue with this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the issue with my 2006. Bulbs will blow every 3-6 monthe (low beams) usually the passenger side more than the drivers side. Been using the sylvanias from autozone. I make sure to not touch the bulbs and I always use dielectric grease.
this went on for a few years, then I finally got fed up changing them, and picked up a set from the dealer, and they haven’t blown out for the past 2 years....

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,732 Posts
Battery size shouldn't matter; they are all 12 volts.
BUT a 'bigger' battery would provide more amperage, so it would be longer-lasting before decreased capacity resulted in the current spikes that we suspect cause the issue.

I have NO idea why you could EVER read 36VDC on a vehicle's wiring.

·
Registered
865 Posts
BUT a 'bigger' battery would provide more amperage, so it would be longer-lasting before decreased capacity resulted in the current spikes that we suspect cause the issue.

I have NO idea why you could EVER read 36VDC on a vehicle's wiring.
I have seen 36V ebikes !

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,732 Posts
Some new cars have 48V systems, too. But not Gen2 CR-Vs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts