Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, my name is Andy Statland, from Severn, MD. I have a strong back ground in rock crawling vehicle fabrication including suspension and roll cage work. Ironically, I have never really done more than typical maintainence on my and my wife's daily driven cars other than oil changes and brakes.

I'm posting up for the first time needing help isolating a vibration that literally started over night on our '06 EX 4WD with 95K miles on the clock. For what it's worth, be bought the CRV brand new 6 years ago and have never had a problem with it until now.

I've performed regular oil changes, have put two set of brakes on it, and the tires are about 2 years old. It runs, stops, steers, and handles great other than this new vibration.

What I can tell you:
-It feels like it's right under the driver's and front passenge's feet but hard to isolate right or left.
-The trans shifts great
-The more load on the drive train, the worse the vibe is meaning that it's felt the most while accelerating from 1st gear and is felt less and less as engine speed decreases and vehicle speed increases.
-No change if accelerating from a stop while dragging the brakes.
-It's independent of vehicle speed; I say this confidently because if I let off the throttle from a hard acceleration, the vibe immediately goes away.
-No vibe felt if revving the engine in nuetral (parked or at speed) or in park.
-I just had the tires , re pressurized, re-balanced and rotated; no change.
-The CVs do not make a sound while accelerating with the wheels cut to the max either right or left.

-It's not the drive shaft to the rear diff. because I took it out and the vibe is still there. When I took the drive shaft out, a few drops of oil dripped off the flange at the transmission but the back side of the flange is dry. The oil smelled like gear oil and it was clean. However, there is no other evidence of a gear oil leak.
-The few drips of gear oil at the flange is the only thing I have to off of at this point. I hope the pinion bearing behind this flange isn't toast...with that said:
-From my off road back ground, I'm familiar with how typical straight axles are built but an AWD trans is another world to me.
-I'm hesitant to pull the flange and check the flange seal because I don't want to undo any potential bearing preload and can't accurately reset the pre load with out know what it is first.
-It's not like the front differential has a cover I can pull like on a Dana model axle and check the ring and pinon. How do you even check the oil level?
Help! Thanks, Andy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I plan on draining the front diff and checking the fluid for metal..Plan for the worst, hope for the best..hopefully I'm not looking at a new transmission..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a vibration very similar to what you are describing, and I can't pinpoint it either. I'm thinking about dropping the propeller shaft to see if that's where it is. It's driving me absolutely bonkers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drop it for sure, it was super easy and only took like 10 minutes if that. You'll need a 10mm, 12mm, and a 14mm twelve point socket. The shaft/flange bolts are 10mm, the center bearing bolts are 14s and I think the strap bolts are 12s. I recommend unbolting the trans end of the shaft first. With the trans end free, you can then spin the drive shaft as you loosen the bolts at the rear diff. Drop the strap then drop the center bearing. One strange thing I noticed is that both u joints have a dead spot when in the neutral position..Regardless, the vibe is still there with the shaft out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
astatland,

Same car/year/mileage/problem here too. I tried removing the driveshaft, but the problem persists. New diff fluid too. Had the tires balanced and rotated.

Have you tried changing the transmission fluid? Tie-rod ends? Front sway bar links? I'm really at a loss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts