Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
First time post-er. I'm having trouble getting off the line, and 2-3. Consequently I have a very distinct whistling, which gets louder as I accelerate...are Honda trans operated using vaccum similar to 70's-80's u.s. vehicles? Lastly if this is the case, (utilizing vac to shift) its typically a clean thoroughly inside and out, tap screen out and check for metal with magnet, reinstall....if still not functioning check solenoid...bad replace. Is this accurate today on my crv? Btw, I have observed and gained prior, it's cool to have the sense of community amongst Honda peeps! Thanks for all the insights...Peace!

Everything in Moderation
You've done your research. 馃憤

You don't mention mileage, but if you just bought the car and don't know the service history, change the ATF three times (drain & fill) with the PROPER stuff, Honda DW-1.

If your issue isn't resolved after a fluid replacement, take a look at the screens. Does the trans shift better at the beginning of a drive? That could indicate blocked solenoid screens.

The V doesn't use vacuum to sense shift maps.

Can't help you with the whistling, but just generically, check all engine bay vacuum lines, and make sure the intake hoses (trunking) are fully mounted and not cracked. While you are in there, wipe the throttle body clean (don't spray).

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
You've done your research. 馃憤

You don't mention mileage, but if you just bought the car and don't know the service history, change the ATF three times (drain & fill) with the PROPER stuff, Honda DW-1.

If your issue isn't resolved after a fluid replacement, take a look at the screens. Does the trans shift better at the beginning of a drive? That could indicate blocked solenoid screens.

The V doesn't use vacuum to sense shift maps.

Can't help you with the whistling, but just generically, check all engine bay vacuum lines, and make sure the intake hoses (trunking) are fully mounted and not cracked. While you are in there, wipe the throttle body clean (don't spray).
Thank you for the concern and direction. I own a 2nd gen 06 with 187k... 120k I take credit for over the past 6 years. I'm very impressed with my CRV, in form and function. When I find a good thing I stick to it!
  • Continuing with that thought my once so reliable baby is acting like my teen daughter...bitchy, sparatic, emotional, and hot n cold. In CRV terms = slow to near zero forward propulsion from stop, accelerate too quickly and she bucks like a mechanical bull, continue accelerate = stall like flooded. Following all that drama, then is very difficult to start. Out of necessity I've taught myself to make the auto trans, semi-annual using my tac as reference, rev up to about 3k rpm quickly, drop the pedal 1/2 way, then re-ingauge, and hopefully in the next gear. It works in a pinch, but no fun. Worse is trying to pull out into traffic. We're grounded now and my luck 1 day after demoing a job at an occupied house...YIKES!
  • It appears that most on this forum are dealing with a 2nd vehicle, I don't share the luxury as if today.
  • PLEASE help, I'm desperate..chasing a gremlin. Almost $600 in parts, water pump, thermo, coolant fan, ignition coils, plugs, catalytic converter, valve cover gasket, and seals, air filter, oil filter, tensioner pulley, power steering pump and pressure hose, sensors; coolant temp, knock, pcv, o2 up, MAP, cam shaft position, and crankshaft position. And yes, I renewed the transmission fluid (3Xs flush metod), and cleaned the intake full of gunk plus removed the IMRC? drum located within the runners, and throughly cleaned and inspected. Then I cleaned the throttle body, MAP intake etc. Most recently I replaced the V-TEC solenoid, cleaned block side, plus 2 additional screens on block. I take pride in any work I do and make every effort to follow procedure to avoid stoner moments, I'm very proud to have completed all of these repairs/replacements myself along with a host of bloggers unknowingly by my side. Here is the sequence of events leading to the most recent trouble: Started with ck eng bank 1 high voltage. I still don't understand why/how, but I was directed to the o2. After repair I overheated (never had previous), found bad2 fan motor, started again, suddenly I had a whole xmas tree, laminated on my dash. CK ENG4gvt 566鈦6id triangle it's been near 10 daadays since, and high volt bank 1 illuminates.
  • I cannot seem to find anything to cause the stalling from stop, trouble shifting, 1-2,/2-3 gears.
  • Anyone still reading must be sick or just devoted, I appreciate any insight, thanks for taking the time to assist in my CRV ISSUE.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Carbuff2, I'm honored to have a response from you, as I've witnessed several posts you've assisted others to understand, thanks for the wisdom and response.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and began the transmission fluid change (1 of 3 drain and fill) using only Honda transmission fluid, even though I did this service 1 year ago. I'll post the results after #3. Is it really necessary to use Honda transmission fluid? A friend said he used valvoline high milage in red container, and hasn't had issue for 8 years and 2 changes???
As far as the winning noise, I used a stethoscope to pinpoint a water pump with a bad bearing. Is it unusual for a water pump to go bad within 14 months? It seems short lived. Anyhow, though you can hear me coming from miles away, I haven't overheated, and haven't experienced any leaks, is it safe to drive with a whistling pump?
Fingers crossed, I hope to be able to limp to the job this morning and do another assessment after work.
Thanks for the support!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, almost forgot, has anyone experienced bucking during acceleration? My thought is transmission, friend says fuel injectors are clogged. This threw a wrench in my transmission diagnoses. Do these flashy fuel injector dump in the tank additives do anything besides give false sense of reality? It seems farfetched to believe even at high concentrations anything could unclog such a precise fine spray of fuel without some agitation or scrubbing. Is there anyone with direct experience with fuel injectors cleaning or replacing?

Lastly is there any potential harm in driving with dirty injectors, besides very slow starts, and getting off the line?

Everything in Moderation
It is always best to start (or reply to) separate Topics, for separate issues.

If you have a bad (leaking) injector that could overwork/damage your catalytic converter...big bux.

For a common engine as in our CR-Vs, you could throw a set of injectors in for the same $$ as sending them to an injector rebuilder.

Additives are a preventative measure, not a cure for an issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up. I will try to get a sure diagnosis, prior to spending money for others labor and education/experience. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts