Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lost my '06 crv today in a crash. thing was immaculate condition. garage kept, original owner (till my ownership in aug 2018), dealer maintained. zero rust, all honda replacement parts, service history. everything! no rips tears stains, NOTHING! drove straight and centered. really upset about the loss. my first honda I bought to try them out, only had 100k on it too.

here to seek advice if I buy another honda. liked the crv as it had space as well as good fuel mileage and decent to work on. also the fact it was a timing chain instead of belt was a huge plus for me. I did the valve adjustment as it required and that wasn't too bad. really have no clue what i'm gonna get but would like to stay with the small SUV scene. i'm not dead set on another '06, kinda whatever pops up for the right price is what i'm gonna get. looking for help on particular models that might be fitting as far as terms of maintenance items and how "simple" they were compared to my '06. only had it a few months but enough to know I liked it's reliability and ease of maintenance work. maybe the newer ones have hydraulic lifters and that isn't even something to worry about; that's why i'm here. I know I don't want one much older, a year or 2 is fine as I believe they're pretty similar, but into the early 2000 range isn't what i'm looking for.

lemme know whatever you think may be helpful.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
All the Honda engines till the last couple years are still the same and require valve lash adjustments. Hydraulic lifters are not reliable and prone to failure. Not sure what else your trying to find out as nothing else has the reliability of a CRV except for maybe a toyota.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Hydraulic lifters are much better than solid ones, as they take up the play in the system, provide for much less wear and tear on the cam lobes, are gentler on all parts, and quieter. They never require adjustment. Unfortunately, they are not feasible on overhead cam systems due to size/design restraints. If they were, they would be there., as they are far superior. I only ever saw maybe a half dozen go bad out of thousands, and those were easily replaced.

You won't improve on the '06 CR-V as a primary choice for what you seek - you had it right the first time. Such a shame to lose one like that. I'd find another one. You won't top it. You'll be disappointed by anything else, because nothing else measures up. Look for an '05 or an '06. And good luck. I searched for over six months for one with a 5-speed manual, no luck. I really like the '07 I wound up with, but I ran out of time and had to make a decision. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the Honda engines till the last couple years are still the same and require valve lash adjustments. Hydraulic lifters are not reliable and prone to failure. Not sure what else your trying to find out as nothing else has the reliability of a CRV except for maybe a toyota.

looking for any general comparison to my '06, if all engines are the same then that's easy enough and pretty reliable in my opinion. transmissions the same too (auto) with just drain and fill, no filter? fuel pump replacements don't by simply pulling the rear seat and carpet up? basically just "ease of work" when working on them. was very pleased with the whole "honda experience" and how simple things seemed when it needed maintenance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hydraulic lifters are much better than solid ones, as they take up the play in the system, provide for much less wear and tear on the cam lobes, are gentler on all parts, and quieter. They never require adjustment. Unfortunately, they are not feasible on overhead cam systems due to size/design restraints. If they were, they would be there., as they are far superior. I only ever saw maybe a half dozen go bad out of thousands, and those were easily replaced.

You won't improve on the '06 CR-V as a primary choice for what you seek - you had it right the first time. Such a shame to lose one like that. I'd find another one. You won't top it. You'll be disappointed by anything else, because nothing else measures up. Look for an '05 or an '06. And good luck. I searched for over six months for one with a 5-speed manual, no luck. I really like the '07 I wound up with, but I ran out of time and had to make a decision. Let us know how it works out.
any reason to steer away from the newer ones such as 07+? also, are all these engines just the simple set srew and jam nut for valve adjustments; none of that shim and cup design to get the correct height like some manufactures do?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Look at the Gen that encompasses 2007 - 2011. Very reliable, basically bulletproof. Tons on the road so it should be easy to find one that's in great condition and maintained.

From what I understand valve adjustment is pretty easy. We have 133k on ours (bought new) and it's never required an adjustment yet. It goes in for service in a month or two and I will have them check the valve lash to be sure.
Still runs like new.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

wonder where you live and have dealt with, I have personally changed hundreds of hydraulic lifters.

You would think that they are better on an engine but Honda has been proving that wrong for around 40 years now.

Also doable on OHC engines, seen it on multiple engines. It's the Vtec that limits the designs.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
looking for any general comparison to my '06, if all engines are the same then that's easy enough and pretty reliable in my opinion. transmissions the same too (auto) with just drain and fill, no filter? fuel pump replacements don't by simply pulling the rear seat and carpet up? basically just "ease of work" when working on them. was very pleased with the whole "honda experience" and how simple things seemed when it needed maintenance.
Pretty much are. There are some minor differences (intake designs, number of speeds the transmission has etc). Working on them seems to be identical from 2002 on up till the last few years.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
On those hydraulic lifters, it must be something about the colder climate. Most of the ones I've seen fail had internal tolerance defects.

Gen 2 kind of splits into two groups, and so does Gen 3. Gen 2 is from '02-'4. Gen 2.5 is from '05-'06. Gen 3 is from '07-'09, and Gen 3.5 is from '10-'11. Based on all my research, the Gen 2.5 and Gen 3 are the best. After '09 the incidence of engine issues had an uptick, which increased in Gen 4, and again in Gen 5. The '07 was when the CR-V became based on the Civic platform. Before that it was more truck-like in handling and suspension. Afterwards the ride and handling were more car-like. You should drive both. The three main differences between the '06 and the '07 were the tailgate going from opening horizontally to vertically, the platform change, and the loss of the manual transmission option. One other change was from 4WD to AWD. Oh, and (duh!) the body style. To me the '07 looks kind of goofy compared to the '06, but I am getting used to that too, I guess.

I kind of preferred the way an '06 rode and drove, but I am getting used to my '07 now and I do like it. It handles more nimbly, feels lighter, rides better, and feels more powerful, though it isn't. The engines are pretty nearly identical. But the only thing I would change on my '07 is to a 5-speed. But I will say that the AT functions perfectly, and is smooth and flawless. Around here there are more than twice as many available Gen3's as Gen2's, and most are in better condition, too, with lower miles.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Sounds like you lost the holy grail of used CR-V's there.
Hard to find them with that kind of history, that's for sure.
Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
found another one that the guy had listed for 2-3 days. get a load of this, same exact car. same color same style, EVERYTHING. only difference this ones a lil higher end. here's the info.

'06 CRV 4 cyl auto awd. leather seats and heated front ones. guys original owner. 135000 on it. claims he had the oil changes always done at honda (which could be true as it did have a honda oil filter on it). could see some oil leak/caking on the passenger side rear of engine, nothing leaving crap on the ground but stuff present. likely never had the valve adjustment done as he didn't mention it and it was quiet, no valve train noise or ticking. needs a serp belt as it looked original. said the tires and brakes we're fairly new. trans fluid could use a change and he said he never did it, but it drove and shifted fine. clean car aside from the engine bay, wasn't bad but just dirty and like it had never been washed. exterior and interior weren't as clean as the car I lost, but clean none the less...also has P1077 code. he has some sensor replaced on the passenger side of the engine near the top forward of the valve cover, and says that didn't fix it and that it's the piece the sensor connects to. to me, it looks like some sort of the evap system or vacuum reservoir, about 3" diameter or so....none the less, P1077 is still present with MIL on.

not sure how I feel about this catch so i'm here lookin for opinions or comments on the info I've given. asking 4400, had someone offer 3500, and from how he was talking it sounds like it could be had for 3700ish.....to me that's a steal even considering the condition and issues the car has...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P1077 is the IMRC valve issue.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2004-honda-crv-p1077

If the seller replaced the control solenoid you might need to replace the IMRC mechanism itself (in the intake). There are YouTube vids on how to do it.

figured that's what it was after posting this and lookin at the service manual;looks like the whole intake and radiator core support come out....pretty big job it seems.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
also, wat type of labor or costs would this job pull? looks like somethin I can do, but for some wiggle room in buying the car to get a better price on it i'm thinking...
The price can vary greatly depending on where you live. For labor can range from $150 to $500 or more. heck it can vary almost that much in the same town/city.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The price can vary greatly depending on where you live. For labor can range from $150 to $500 or more. heck it can vary almost that much in the same town/city.

is this something you replace the whole long piece that comes out of the intake, or do they sell the rubber diaphragm that goes inside it and just replace that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.